Anday ka Khatta is quick, simple and easy to make south Indian style egg curry. Eggs, tamarind, onion and few simple spices are main ingredients in making this spicy and tangy boiled egg curry. This is the best egg gravy recipe for rice.
Love Eggs? Then, here are quick, easy and tasty egg recipes for you to try – Anda Ghotala, Egg Burji, Egg Puffs, Sweet Scramble Eggs, Anday ka Khagina, Scrambled Eggs with Greens, Egg Rasmalai and Spicy Egg Pancakes.
About This Recipe
When I am in hurry or running out of meal ideas then eggs and potatoes are always there for my rescue. Many people think being a food blogger, I can fix up meal menu in no time. That’s not true, planning a menu is always a big thing to me.
I love to try different recipes with eggs. This recipe Anday ka Khatta (ande ka khtta), boiled egg curry is very easy to make. This recipe calls for just few handy ingredients which are easily available in any Indian pantry.
I love adding boiled eggs to many khatta recipes like baigan ka khatta, mirchi ka khatta, tamatar ka khatta, etc, this anday ka khatta is my family favorite recipe. You can even call this as Bachelor’s Recipe or Beginner’s Recipe as anyone can make it with ease. Hope you try this soon.
Anday ka Khatta – Egg Gravy For Rice
Spicy and tangy anday ka khatta is best egg gravy for rice. You do not need any other side dish recipe to go along with this. The combination of onion and tamarind with few regular Indian spices gives a finger lickingly tasty gravy, which heavenly compliments rice .
When I am hurry or lazy, then this spicy egg gravy is my go to dish. The good thing about this recipe is you can serve this with warm rice or rice which is at room temperature.
My mom use to make this whenever we have unexpected guest at home. She adds boiled potatoes too. This is a simple egg recipe with n number of variations.
Anday ka Khatta Ingredients
Hard Boiled Eggs – The main ingredient in making this egg curry recipe. You need perfectly hard boiled eggs to make this recipe. Read NOTES section in the recipe card below to make perfect boiled eggs.
Roasted Coriander Powder – Enhances the flavour of the recipe.
Onions – The main ingredient, which gives base to this egg gravy recipe.
Tamarind Extract – Adds tangy taste, which makes this recipe delicious.
- 4 hard boiled Eggs, peeled
- 2 tbsp. Red chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp. Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp. roasted Coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Oil
- 3 large Onions, finely sliced
- 1 Green chili, cut into half
- 1 cup Tamarind extract
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 springs Coriander leaves, to garnish
How To Make Anday Ka Khatta
- Make length wise one or two slits on the peeled hard boiled eggs and set aside.
- Add oil to a pot and fry onions and green chili by adding red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add ½ cup of water and cook covered until onions turn soft.
- Stir and add tamarind extract and 1½ cups of water. Bring this to boil, adjust salt and add hard boiled eggs.
- Cook till raw smell tamarind smell wafts and gravy thickens. Stir in roasted coriander powder. Turn off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rice.
- Add 'love' to make this Anday ka Khatta taste 'YUMMY'.
Pressure Cooker Method
How To Make Perfectly Hard Boiled Eggs
Here is a quick tip to get perfect hard boil eggs every time. Always remember to use eggs which are at room temperature.
- Add eggs to a sauce pan.
- Now pour water till eggs are completely submerged in water. To this add ½ tbsp. of raw rice.
- Cook on low flame, till rice is completely soft.
- When the rice grain turn soft, then turn off the flame and leave the eggs to sit in the hot water for 5 minutes.
- Drain the water and then room temperature water.
- Leave the eggs in water, till you can handle them easily without burning your fingers.
- Gently tap the egg on the kitchen counter or plate and peel the shell of the egg.
- Once you finish peeling the eggs, wash them thoroughly with water and then use them accordingly.
Lubna's Serving Suggestions
This is a quick fix recipe, when I run out of vegetables. So, you can easily serve this with streamed hot rice. The onion and tamarind based gravy when mixed in hot rice and eaten, the feeling is pure bliss. Try it to know!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 187mgSodium: 336mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 5gSugar: 18gProtein: 9g