Bagare Baingan is rich, spicy and delicious main course recipe. This authentic Hyderabadi Bagara Baingan is often served with steamed rice or biryani or pulao. Bagara Baingan is thick, tangy and smooth gravy based recipe. Hyderabadi Bagare Baingan are also called as sare baingan or baingan ka masala or baingan ka salan.
There are some recipes which just make you salivate, when you just hear the name of them….isn’t it…??? Among the category is this very famous ‘Bagare Baingan’ or ‘Bagare Baigan’. This is my very favourite recipe, very close to my heart…..I make this very often for my friends who are vegetarian and of course who are vegan by choice.
Close to my heart because, I learned it from my mom…after marriage…When me and my husband first visited my mom after marriage….my mom made this for us in lunch along with Dum Biryani, Raita and Chicken Khorma….My dear husband just loved it and could not stop serving again and again….all the time when he was relishing, he just kept on telling me to pen down the recipe…and to my mom to teach me the recipe…..
After completing the meal, I scribbled the recipe in a book, which I use to carry as a newly wed bride…because I use to note down a new recipe wherever I come across…Over the time, I mastered this recipe by making it again and again….though I received many compliments on this recipe….I feel my mom makes this ’Bagarae Baingan’, ‘The Best’.
Today I am going to share with you my mom’s recipe….Till date this is one favourite and much loved recipe of all my family members….I remember how my friends from school and college and my cousins use to demand for this recipe whenever they are home for lunch or dinner….Scroll down to check lots of variations and detailed recipe….
- ½ Kg. Brinjals
- 3-4 Green chillies make a small slit
- 1½ tbsp. Red chili powder
- ¼ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp. Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 Onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp. Coriander/Dhaniya powder
- ¼ tbsp. Cumin/Jeera powder
- 1 cup thick Tamarind extract
- 4 tbsp. Dry Coconut powder
- 2 tbsp. Sesame seeds
- 2 twigs fresh Coriander leaves
- 6 Curry leaves
- 10 Cashews
- Add oil to heavy bottom cooking vessel and fry finely sliced onions until light golden. Set aside.
- Wash and pat dry brinjals (keep the stems intact). Make a cross on the brinjals (by slitting the birnjals from bottom until the base, the stem part). Soak in water with ½ tbsp. of salt till use.
- Dry roast separately sesame seeds and dry coconut powder until nice brown. Leave it cool.
- Grind and make a fine paste of fried onions, sesame seeds and dry coconut along with red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, ginger-garlic paste (if using fresh ginger-garlic add now) and salt. My mom adds few fresh twigs of coriander leaves too. Add little water if necessary to make fine paste.
- Add oil to heavy bottom cooking vessel
and fry cashews till light golden. Remove on kitchen tissue and add brinjals and green chillies. Cook covered till soft.
- Take out brinjals and in the same oil add curry leaves and when they start to splutter, add above ground paste and fry for 3-4 minutes on low flame.
- Now add cooked brinjals and green chillies. Using spoon try to push the mixture into the brinjals.
- Add tamarind extract and 1½ cups water to it. Bring it to boil. Check for salt and add if needed.
- Simmer till gravy starts to thicken and oil starts to leave the sides of the gravy. Turn off the flame and add fresh
coriander leaves and fried cashews.
- Add ‘love’ to make this recipe taste ‘Yummy’.
- Instead of long and slender purple brinjals, you can use long and slender green brinjals or small (baby) brinjals
both purple and green varieties.
- Just remember green brinjals either long or small, they take more time in cooking. My mom adds boiled eggs to this recipe sometimes and I tell you its really yum…..
Nothing can beat a plate of steaming hot rice and mom made Bagare Baingan….Ultimate luxury food for me….
BAGARAE MIRCHI/MASALA MIRCHI/MIRCHI Ka SALAN/MIRCHI ka KHATTA with BOILED EGGS:
- Just substitute long purple brinjals with Jalapeno’s or you can use green capsicum/bell peppers too in making this. When using fiery green chillies it is advisable to blanch them before you proceed to cook.
- Boil eggs and remove the shell. Add when the gravy starts to thicken or cut into half and decorate on top before