Now you can easily make Indian Bakery Style Egg Puffs at home. Takes no more than 30 minutes, these puffs are crispy, crunchy and flaky. Thanks to readymade and easily available puff pastry sheets. Egg puffs are perfect snack to have in the evening with a cup of tea or coffee.
About This Recipe
A tablespoon of spicy onion-tomato masala is smeared on one side of buttery puff pastry sheet. On top of masala, half of boiled egg is placed. By sealing the edges and brushing with a generous coat of egg wash, these puffs are baked in oven for 15-20 minutes. Ta-da, our egg puffs are ready.
Crunchy, crispy, flaky, spicy and extremely delicious egg puffs are bliss! The good thing about this recipe is, you can make the stuffing ahead and bake when needed. I used readymade puff pastry sheets, which are surprisingly easy to find in stores these days.
How To Make Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs
Perfect hard boiled eggs are needed to make puffs. Here are few tips and techniques to get perfect hard boiled eggs every time,
Always remember to use eggs which are at room temperature. If the eggs are in refrigerator, place them in lukewarm water for 10-15 minutes.
Drain the water and then add fresh water to the eggs before boiling.
Add water, till the eggs are completely submerged. Boil on low flame.
Turn off the flame. After 5 minutes, drain the water and add ice cold water to the eggs.
Let the eggs sit in ice water for 10-15 minutes. Then carefully peel the eggs.
Here is an easy trick to find out whether eggs are completely cooked or not.
Add few grains of rice to eggs when you start to boil them. When the rice is cooked, then eggs are completely boiled too.
More Recipes With Hard Boiled Eggs
Anday ka Khatta – Boiled Eggs cooked in Tamarind gravy
Egg Dum Biryani – Delicious one pot meal
Stuffed Egg Fry – Perfect iftar and tea time snack
Egg Potato Biryani – Best lunch box and suhoor recipe
What Do You Brush Puff Pastry With Before Baking?
Internet will provide you with tons of ideas on what you need to brush your puff pastry with for that golden color crust and glossy finish.
Here are few of my tried and tested tips,
Butter: You can brush your puff pastry with butter on top. This will give good color, crunch and shine to the puffs.
Milk: Brushing puffs with milk, will give crisp crust with matte look. You can brush puffs with milk when you are making pure veg puffs.
Cream: Heavy cream or half-and-half can also be used to bring shine on the puffs. Cream will keep the puff pastry moist too.
Egg Wash: Beat an egg with a pinch of salt (if using it for a savory recipe) and generously brush it over the puffs. Egg wash is an age old technique to bring golden color and crispness in puffs.
Here are three different types of egg washes,
Egg Yolk: When puff pastry is brushed with beaten egg yolk, then you get a bright and glossy shine on puffs.
Egg White: Beat an egg white until frothy and brush it over the puffs. This will bring less color but more shine on the puffs.
Egg + Milk: 1 egg is beaten with 1 tbsp. of milk until frothy. This is brushed on top of puffs to bring natural shine, color and gloss This is a classic and age-old recipe. Sometimes, milk is replaced with cream too.
Indian Bakery Style Egg Puffs
Puffs are common in bakeries, college and hospital canteens. When I was in college, puffs and samosa were only two good things available in our canteen. Egg puffs were so delicious that sometimes, I use to get them packed for home too.
Puffs and samosas have always been part of our iftar time during Ramadan. If you can find readymade puff pastry, then making puffs is super easy.
It was my first Ramadan after marriage and we were in Bangalore. For the whole month, we ate egg puffs and samosas from a local bakery. The bakery was run by Keralites and egg puffs were their speciality. They used to make puffs with whole boiled egg. It’s big and size, filling and taste is completely out of the world.
- 4 medium Onions
- 1 Tomato
- 2 Green chilies, chopped
- ½ tbsp. Red chili powder
- ¼ tbsp. Ginger-Garlic Paste
- ¼ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. minced Coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- Salt, as per taste
For Egg Puffs
- 6 Hard boiled eggs
- 1 tbsp. Milk
- 1 Egg
- 6 Readymade pastry sheets, I used Unroll
How To Make Bakery Style Egg Puffs At Home
Thaw The Puff Pastry
- Before we start to make masala or stuffing for egg puff, thaw the puff pastry.
- For quickly thawing the puff pastry, remove them from the fridge and keep them on the kitchen counter.
- Keep an eye on it. If the puff pastry gets dry, the puffs will not hold shape.
- Leave puff pastry on kitchen counter for not more than 20 minutes.
Making Masala For Egg Puffs
- Peel and wash onions thoroughly. Slice them into thin slices and set aside.
- Wash the tomato and cut into half. Remove the seeds and cut into small pieces.
- In a pan, add oil and when it heats up add sliced onion and chopped green chillies.
- Fry on medium flame for 1-2 minutes and cook till onions turn translucent.
- Now to this add ginger-garlic paste and fry till raw smell of ginger-garlic paste wafts.
- Add chopped tomato pieces. Stir and add red chili powder, salt and turmeric.
- Combine well and cook till tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves and turn off the flame.
- Take this in a bowl and leave it cool.
Peel The Eggs
- In the time, masala is getting cooked, peel and wash the hard-boiled eggs.
- Gently run the knife vertically and cut the hard-boiled eggs into half.
Prepare Egg Wash
- In a bowl, crack open the egg and add one tbsp. of milk to it. Beat well.
Assembling The Egg Puffs
- Line the baking tray with parchment or butter paper.
- If parchment or butter paper is not available, then grease the baking tray with a tablespoon of oil.
- Depending on the size of the baking tray, place the puff pastry sheets. Remember to leave 2-3 inch space between the puffs.
- Add one spoon of onion-tomato masala on each of the puff pastry sheet.
- On this gently place half of hardboiled egg with yolk side down.
- Apply water on the edges and fold to half or close the puff by bringing all four sides to the centre.
- Using a pastry brush, gently rub egg wash on top of the puffs.
Baking Egg Puffs
- Pre-heat oven at 1800C.
- Bake egg puffs in a pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes or till the top starts to turn golden.
- Carefully remove and line them on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm with ketchup or sauce.
Lubna's Serving Suggestions:
Egg puffs are best when served as snack along with tea or coffee or any fruit juice.
These can be served in iftar during Ramadan.
Perfect for kid and kitty parties.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 472Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 260mgSodium: 494mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 4gSugar: 17gProtein: 15g