Andhra Style Thotakura Egg Bhurji is easy, nutritious and simple side dish that goes perfectly well with rotis and chapatis. Thotakura which is also called as Amaranth Greens is much loved leafy vegetable in Andhra.
I learnt to make this recipe from my mom-in-law. She says, adding eggs to leafy greens, not only increases the flavour and health quotient but also increases its quantity. As leafy greens shrink upon cooking, adding eggs will give taste and thickness to the recipe. Apart from thotakura egg burji, Thotakura Pappu and Thotakura Vepudu are two much loved Andhra Delicacies made with thotakura leaves.
Must Try Side Dishes for Roti | Chapati
Thotakura Egg Bhurji
Course: Side Dish Cuisine: Indian Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Servings: 4 People Calories: 210 Cal Author: Lubna Karim
- 1 big bunch of Thotakura | Amaranth leaves
- 3 Eggs
- 1 medium sized Onion, sliced finely
- 2 Green chilies, cut into half
- ¼ tbsp. Ginger- Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Red chili powder
- ¼ tbsp Turmeric powder
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp. Oil
How to make Thotakura Egg Bhurji
- Wash amaranth leaves thoroughly and cut off the thick stems with roots. Finely chop the leaves along with tender stems.
- Beat the eggs with ¼ tbsp. salt and ¼ tbsp. red chili powder. Set aside.
- Leave the chopped leaves in water for 15 minutes and then wash for 2-3 times by changing the water.
- Thoroughly drain the water by gently squeezing the leaves. Set aside.
- In a skillet add oil and when it heats up add sliced onion and green chilies. Fry on medium heat. Once onion start to turn translucent, add ginger-garlic paste and fry till raw smell wafts.
- Slowly add washed and chopped amaranth leaves along with salt and turmeric powder. Stir well.
- Cover the skillet and cook on low flame till leaves turn soft and wilted. Stir well and add red chili powder.
- Slowly add beaten egg mixture and cover with lid. Cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and using a spoon scramble the eggs. Keep stirring until eggs are completely scrambled and cooked fully.
- Once eggs are completely cooked, turn off the flame and serve warm with roti or chapati.
Serving Suggestion: You can serve Thotakura Egg Burji as a side dish with Roti or Chapati or Poori or Rasam Rice. You can even use this as a filling for sandwiches.