Kakdi Gosht ka Salan | Dosakaya Mutton is a typical Andhra Recipe which is usually made with seasonal yellow round cucumber and mutton. Yellow round cucmbers (dosakaya/kakdi) are often tangy in taste and impart wonderful flavour when cooked in combo with lamb meat (mutton). This is a rich, spicy and tangy gravy-based recipe and tastes best when served with warm rice.
Dosakaya Mutton Recipe
Yesterday, while I was editing pictures for my upcoming blog post, my friend called and surprised me saying, she is on her way to give seminar at office near my house and if things wind up early she will drop by to spend time with me and lil’M. It’s been long since I met her and very recently, she has won Excellence Award for her outstanding performance. I thought of surprising her with a celebration dinner by making her favourite recipes. My friend is a hardcore meat lover and fan of Andhra cuisine. So I thought of pampering her with my signature Kakdi Gosht ka Salan (Dosakaya Mutton) and Guntur Gongura Mutton dishes.
Try Licious Today
I am not a person who is fond of frozen meat or I don’t store meat for 2-3 days in my fridge. So, until sometime back if anyone visiting me without prior information, I always use to go with vegetarian menu. But thanks to Licious, it has made my work easy by coming up with clean and variety cut meats, which is probably a big task when I go to buy meat from shops. Now I can order my choice of fresh meat and seafood anytime of the day. The Express Delivery orders through Licious will be delivered within 120 minutes. Without any delay, I placed my order of Lamb Curry Cut and started my preparations to cook a luscious dinner for my friend.
Licious – The Best Online Meat Store in Chennai
Licious meats and seafoods are 100% halal, fresh, cleaned and cut in wide varieties for every preference. The meat you get is tender and wastage free, nothing extra apart from the meat that you order – making it a great value for money. I am pleasantly surprised to read that Licious is the only meat and seafood brand in India to be recognised with FSSC 220000 Certificate (which is one of the highest food safety certification in the world). By the time I completed grinding and chopping the ingredients needed to make Kakdi Gosht ka Salan, Guntur Gongura Mutton, Bagare Baingan and Onion Raita….my doorbell rang, and I received my delivery from Licious.
Lubna150. T&Cs – FlLubna150. T&Cs – Flat 150 OFF on orders above 500, Valid on discounted products, Valid only on first order and valid till 20/11/19.
Licious meats are all vacuum sealed and packed to retain the freshness of the meat. When I opened the pack I saw the meat is well cleaned and ready to use. I just rinsed it thoroughly with fresh water and left it to marinate. In no time, with little multi-tasking I can able to pull off a delicious surprise celebration dinner for my BFF. Here is the recipe for delicious and licious Kakdi Gosht ka Salan.
Kakdi Gosht ka Salan
- ½ Kg. Mutton
- 1 medium Yellow Cucumber
- 3 medium ripe Tomatoes
- 1 big Onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp. dry Coconut powder
- ½ cup Tamarind juice
- 2 tbsp. Red chili powder
- ½ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp. roasted Coriander powder
- ½ tbsp. Ginger-Garlic paste
- ½ tbsp. Garam Masala
- 2 Green chilies slit length-wise
- Salt, as per taste
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- 1 tbsp. fresh minced coriander
How to make Kakdi Gosht ka Salan
- Thoroughly rinse the mutton pieces under water. Leave in colander to drain excess water.
- In a bowl mix mutton pieces with sliced onions, red chili powder, turmeric powder, roasted coriander powder, dry coconut powder, salt and ginger-garlic paste. Leave this to marinade for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel the yellow cucumber and wash thoroughly. Cut it into half and remove the seeds. (Taste the cucumber before cutting it down into pieces, sometimes the cucumber may be bitter. If it is bitter, don’t use it). Cut into 1’inch pieces and set aside.
- Cut the tomatoes into half, scoop the seeds and chop them finely.
- Add oil to a pressure cook and when it heats up add above marinated mutton pieces and fry on medium heat until mutton pieces start to change color.
- Now add 3 cups of water and pressure cook until the meat is just done.
- Wait until pressure settles, now remove the lid and add cucumber pieces, chopped tomatoes and green chilies.
- Stir well and pressure cook for 2 whistles and wait still pressure settles.
- Now add tamarind juice along with 1 cup of water and cook till you get desired consistency. (Consistency should be bit watery like stew).
- Add garam masala and turn off the flame. Garnish with minced coriander leaves and serve warm with steamed white rice.
- Add love to make this kakdi gosht taste ‘Yummy’.
For this recipe, I soaked lemon sized tamarind in water and extracted juice by gently squeezing the tamarind. I collected ½ cup of the juice and placed rest of the tamarind in the fridge in a fridge container to use later.
Licious is now in Chennai and you can order online or through their app. Download Licious app today to avail exclusive in-app offers. Experience world-class meats and seafood with Licious 🙂