It’s safe to say that pizza needs no introductions. This beloved dish is one of the most well-known anywhere in the world. The popularity of pizza has never waned up to this very day. Here are some quick, interesting facts about pizza to know why pizza is so popular in the modern world:
- Contrary to popular belief, pizza did not originate from Italy. The ancient Greeks baked flat, round bread and topped it with olive oil, vegetables, potatoes, and spices.
- Italy was the first country to commercialize pizza and was initially sold as street food. Pizza then was plain but tasty flat, round bread.
- Raffaele Esposito created a dish made of flat, round bread topped with tomato sauce, white mozzarella, and basil leaves for Queen Margherita of Savoy. The queen approved of the meal and became known as Pizza Margherita, which made it very popular in her circle.
- Pizza became popular in Spain, France, England, and America after World War II. Gennaro Lombardi launched the first pizzeria in America in 1895. Today, America celebrates National Pizza Month every October.
- Norway, not America, consumes the most pizza based on a per-person ratio. The global pizza industry continues to grow at a fast pace, with more restaurants and brands opening branches in different locations worldwide.
- Hawaiian pizza was created in Canada, not Hawaii. Greek immigrant Sam Panopoulos invented the dish in ,1962 which is still popular today despite heated arguments about pineapple not being a suitable topping for pizza. Hawaiian pizza can be found in Canadian restaurants like Omega Pizza and Wings.
What Makes Pizza So Popular Today?
Pizza is simple but complicated at the same time. People love pizza for many reasons, and it has become a staple dish in almost every country. That said, these are the reasons why pizza is so famous in the modern world:
Modern society likes anything quick and convenient. Due to fast-paced lifestyles and busy schedules, pizza can be a meal on its own or eaten as a snack. You can have pizza delivered when you’re too tired to cook dinner. It can be eaten while in the car (but don’t eat pizza if you’re driving!) or at your office desk. What’s more, pizza does not require peeling or cutting with cutlery (unless you want to, of course).
2. Comforting and Satisfying
Sinking your teeth in a slice of warm pizza is very comforting. Most people love hot meals, but some can grab a pizza from the fridge and eat it cold. Many people will say that their favorite comfort food is pizza. Comfort food is anything that makes you feel better on a bad day and food that you indulge in when you feel like celebrating.
3. A Balanced Meal
Pizza offers all the necessary ingredients for a balanced meal. You get carbohydrates, protein, vitamins, and minerals in one delicious package. You can even customize your pizza based on your nutritional requirements. The advantage of eating pizza is that there are so many ways to enjoy it. You can even make your pizza at home so that you have total control over the ingredients used.
4. Recognized All Over the World
Some countries may have variations on pizza toppings like seafood for Russia, spicy minced beef or lamb in Turkey, bananas in Iceland, or bulgogi in Korea. Despite the differences in toppings, if there’s one dish that’s known in any part of the world, it’s pizza. So even if you are in a foreign land with no idea what to eat, say the magic word, and you will likely be directed to a popular
in the area.
5. Highly Customizable
People have different tastes in food, which is why pizza is extremely popular in the modern world. You can have pizza your way, every time. Pizza is highly versatile. Don’t want any meat or veggies? You can have a simple cheese pizza. Vegetarian? Go ahead and order a vegetarian pizza. With pizza, there are so many options to choose from, so eating pizza never gets boring.
6. Social Food
You could eat pizza alone—a whole box if you wanted to. But pizza is also a great “get-together” food. If you’re having a group of people over, you can order a few boxes of pizza, and you have food to share. And because everyone loves pizza, you won’t be hearing any complaints. Pizza is an excellent social equalizer because people from all walks of life enjoy it.
There are many reasons why pizza remains widely popular to this day. Pizza has become part of modern culture that songs have been written about it. Every country has its own take on pizza, which makes it easier for people to enjoy. Pizza, unlike any other food, has the power to bring people together.