What is your rain day favorite recipe?
5 Must-Try Rain Day Lunch Ideas
Lubna’s Tips To Make The Best Murgh Korma
Follow these three simple tips to make the best mugh korma or chicken korma every time,
Thick fresh curd is required to make this curry. Whisk the curd until lump free and use it.
Dry coconut powder will give nice texture to the recipe. My mom will scrape the outer brown cover of dry coconut, slice thinly and then grind it to make a paste.
The heat is the recipe is from green chilies and garam masala. Red chili powder is used for color only.
Ingredients & Substitutes To Make Murgh Korma
Chicken: Curry cut chicken pieces are used in making this Hyderabadi Murgh Korma. You can even use boneless chicken pieces too.
Ginger-Garlic Paste – For any Indian meat and poultry based recipes, ginger-garlic paste is the main ingredient. This not only helps in removing the smell of meat, but also gives flavour.
Red Chili Powder – Red chili powder is used only to bring color in the curry. So I used Kashmiri red chili powder.
Garam Masala Powder – This mugh korma calls for both whole spices and powdered spices (garam masala). Whole spices like are Cardamom, Cinnamon, Bay Leaf, Shahi Jeera and Cloves are used bagar. Garam masala is used in marination.
Hyderabadi Mugh Korma Recipe
Rich, creamy, spicy and delicious hyderabadi murgh korma or Chicken Hyderabadi is my family favorite recipe. When I was a new bride, this korma was my savior. I use to make this often during weekends or whenever we had guests.
Good taste and flavor of any meat and poultry based recipe lies in marination. Then comes the perfect amount of spices and masalas.
This Hyderabadi chicken korma is a combination of good marination, perfect spices and homemade masalas.
There are many variations in making this Hyderabadi Chicken Curry. The one I am sharing with you is simple, fuss free and easy to make.
- 1 kg Chicken (curry cut pieces)
- 1 big Onion, finely chopped
- 4 Green Chilies, deseeded and cut into half
- 1 big Tomato, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp. Kashmiri Red chili powder
- 1 tbsp. Pepper powder
- 2 Cardamoms, 1 small cinnamon stick and 2 cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ Shahi Jeera
- ½ cup Curd, whisked
- ¾ tbsp. Garam Masala powder
- 6 tbsp. dry Coconut powder or half dry coconut
- Oil for cooking
- Salt to taste
- handful Coriander & mint leaves
How to make Hyderabadi Murgh Chicken Korma Recipe
- Prick chicken pieces all over with a fork.
- Add green chilies, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste, salt, garam masala and pepper powder to the curd.
- Mix well by adding half of mint and coriander leaves.
- Apply this marinade to the chicken pieces and place the chicken in the freezer for 1 hour or more.
- Take a heavy bottom cooking pan and add oil to it. To this oil add cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf, shahi jeera and cloves. Fry the spices for a 20 seconds.
- Now add chopped onions and fry. When the onions start to turn light brown, add chopped tomato.
- Fry till onion and tomato turn mushy.
- Lower the flame and slowly add marinated chicken pieces.
- Gently stir until everything is nicely combined. Cook on medium flame by stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes.
- Now add coconut powder and stir lightly. Add 1 cup of water and place lid. Cook for 25-30 minutes.
- When the chicken pieces are completely cooked, sprinkle minced coriander and mint leaves. Cover the pan for few minutes.
- To increase the flavour, squeeze a fresh lemon on top of the curry before serving.
- Add your 'love' to make this Hyderabadi Murgh Khorma taste 'YUMMY'.
Lubna's Serving Suggestions:
Serve this aromatic, flavoursome and hot Hyderabadi Murg Korma with steamed bowl of white rice or brown rice or roti or naan.
Here are some quick and easy thali recipes with this chicken korma recipe,
Weekend Chicken Thali Recipe:
Bagare Chawal + Roti + Hyderabadi Murgh Korma + Dalcha + Dahi ki Chutney + Coconut Lassi
Everyday Thali Recipe:
Roti + Murgh Korma + Curd + Salad
Rice + Khatti Dal + Murgh Korma + Dahi + Pickle + Papad
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 502Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 159mgSodium: 342mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 7gSugar: 5gProtein: 43g
Yummy Chicken Recipes To-Try