Aromatic, spicy and flavoursome Achari Chicken | Achari Murgh Masala is a classic chicken recipe. Made with Indian pickling spices and chicken pieces, this is one must-try recipe. Achari chicken tastes best when paired with roti, naan, paratha and any Indian flavoured rice.
About This Recipe
Achar | Pickle is integral part of Indian cuisine. No meal is complete without relishing pickle. When the flavour of achar in the gravy makes this recipe unique.
As the name says, this chicken recipe is full of flavour. This is a thick gravy based recipe. The gravy is made with spices which are used for bringing flavour in the pickles. Spices bring a distinct and heady taste in this chicken curry.
Boneless chicken pieces are cooked to tender in pickle flavoured gravy. I have used readymade pickle masala powder which was sent to me by Parul Ji of Parul’s Magic.
To bring tangy taste in recipe, I add mango pickle too. This is one stove-top slow cook chicken recipe. You can easily make this in instant pot too.
Achari chicken is an indulgent treat to taste buds.
You May Also Like,
Chicken: I used boneless breast pieces of chicken. Using boneless chicken pieces is optional but recommended. You can use curry cut chicken pieces too.
Onion: Finely sliced onions make the base of the gravy.
Tomato Puree: I used homemade tomato puree. Making tomato puree is easy. Just cut the tomatoes into half and remove the seeds. Add these pieces to mixer jar and puree them. Strain and add this to the gravy. You can make this ahead and store in a clean and dry moisture free air-tight jar. Stays fresh for a week in refrigerator.
Ginger-Garlic Paste: Flavours the recipe. I have used homemade ginger-garlic paste. You can use readymade one too.
Red Chili Powder: I used combination of Kashmiri red chili powder and Tikhalal. Kashmiri red chili powder brings color and tikhalal brings heat in the recipe.
Garam Masala: Nothing can beat homemade garam masala. Garam masala and ginger-garlic paste are key ingredients in most of the Indian Non-Vegetarian Curries.
Achari Spice Mix: I have used readymade spice mix. But you can easily make your own spice masala. I have posted a quick recipe below.
Curd: Used to balance the flavours in the recipe. Curd brings smooth texture in the gravy.
Mango Pickle: I have used traditional and authentic Parul’s Ginger-Garlic-Mango pickle. This pickle is awesomely flavoured the chicken. I recommend using it.
Pickling Spices: Mustard, Cumin, Fennel, Nigella Seeds and Red Chillies are used in tadka. These whole spices are added in oil and fried until they start to leave their aroma. These bring aroma and flavour in this achari murgh masala recipe.
Archari Spice Mix Ingredients
- 10 dry Red chilies
- 1 tbsp. Coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp. Nigella seeds | Kalonji
- 2 tbsp. Fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp. Mustard seeds
- 3 tbsp. Cumin seeds
- ½ tbsp. Asafoetida | Hing
- 4 tbsp. dry Mango powder | Amchur Powder
- ½ tbsp. Fenugreek seeds
- 2 tbsp. Salt
How To Make Achari Spice Mix At Home?
- Add nigella, fennel, coriander, mustard, cumin and fenugreek seeds to a pan.
- Dry roast on medium flame for 4-5 minutes. Toss and ensure that the spices are getting roasted evenly.
- Remove and add dry red chillies. Fry on medium heat for 4-5 minutes or till they start to change color.
- Cool and grind all the roasted ingredients by adding salt, amchur and asafoetida.
- Remove this achari spice mix in a clean and dry airtight jar. Use accordingly.
- This spice mix stays fresh for a month.
Achari Chicken With Mango Pickle
You can use North Indian or South Indian Mango Pickle. Aam ka achar, mostly kachi kairi ka achar is used.
You can even use one or two pickled mango pieces to the gravy. This will bring nice tangy taste in the recipe.
I used delicious and tangy Parul’s Magic Ginger-Garlic-Mango pickle. The speciality of the pickle is, fine grated pieces of ginger, garlic and mango. So, I added two spoons of this pickle to the curry. This has bought a distinct taste in the curry.
“This recipe is featured in Twinkl, as part of their Top Ramadan Recipes from around the World Campaign.”
Achari Chicken or Achari Murgh Recipe is boneless chicken gravy based recipe where chicken pieces are cooked in pickling spices.
- 300 gms. Chicken Cubes, boneless
- 2 Onions, finely sliced
- ¾ cup Tomato Puree
- ½ tbsp. Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp. Red chili powder
- ½ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- ¾ tbsp. Garam masala
- 2 tbsp. Achari spice mix, optional
- ½ cup Curd, whisked
- 2 tbsp. Mango Pickle
- ½ tbsp. Mustard seeds
- ½ tbsp. Cumin seeds
- ½ tbsp. Fennel seeds
- ½ tbsp. Nigella seeds
- 2 dry Red chillies
- 6 Curry Leaves
- 2 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- Salt, as per taste
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- 2 tbsp. minced Coriander leaves, garnish
How to make Achari Chicken
- Add oil to a skillet or heavy bottom pan and when it heats up add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chillies, fennel seeds and curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds start to crackle, add sliced onions and fry until light golden brown. Now add ginger-garlic paste and sauté till raw smell wafts.
- To this add tomato puree, red chili powder, turmeric powder, achari spice mix and salt. Stir until oil starts to separate.
- Reduce the flame and add whisked curd. Stir continuously to avoid curdling of curd.
- When oil starts to separate, add mango pickle and chicken pieces. Stir until chicken pieces are nicely coated with masala. Add 1 cup of water and cook covered for 20-30 minutes.
- When the chicken pieces turn soft, add lemon juice and garam masala. Stir well and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with fresh minced coriander leaves and serve warm with roti or rice.
- Add love to make this Achari Chicken Recipe taste ‘Yummy’.
Lubna's Serving Suggestions:
You can serve achari chicken with,
ghee rice, etc;
This boneless achari chicken recipe even tastes best with plain white rice and khatti dal.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 225mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 15g
Nice recipe.It looks good with boneless chicken. I have cooked the same ,few months ago but used chicken with bones. This pickle looks delicious.
Lubna Karim says
Thank you. Yeah boneless chicken pieces are looking good in the recipe.
Fozia S says
Oh I love achari chicken but never actually made it myself yet. Should give it a try
Lubna Karim says
Try it…I am sure, you will love it…Thank you…
Riza Khamal says
This looks yummy, the kind that I would really enjoy, especially if it is not spicy. 🙂 It’s probably time to visit my Pakistani/Indian friends, haha
Aleeza S says
Achar gushy has to be my all time meat dish! Thanks for the recipe! Will try this out and let you know how it goes
Umm Ruqaiya says
Looks yummy. Should give it a try 😀
What do we call Nigella seeds in urdu/hindi? Never heard of them before.
Also, after adding water should we cook it on medium heat or low?