Halwa the name brings many warm memories of monsoons followed by winters. I still remember how my senses use to react to the aromatic smell of halwa on entering the house after school. Mom use to make different types of halwa’s and my all-time favorite is Chana Dal Halwa.
Over the time when I started cooking in my kitchen, I tweaked many recipes I learnt over the period of time and this halwa is one of them. As lil’M is not fan of nuts, I always find ways to incorporate them in her diet. This Badami Chana Dal Halwa is result of one such tweaked recipe to suit lil’M’s need.
Badami Chana Dal Halwa is mostly served warm. The almonds (badam) give the recipe rich taste and chana dal incorporates smooth texture. The combination of these two is like a feast to the palate. Can there be any better way to treat the sweet little darling, when she is back from long day school??? Before she comes home, let me type the recipe for you….
Badami Chana Dal Halwa
- ¾ cup Chana dal
- ½ cup Almonds
- 1 cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Ghee
- ½ cup Milk
- ½ tbsp. Cardamom powder
- Few Saffron strands
- Silver warq/leaf for decorating
HOW TO MAKE BADAMI CHANA DAL HALWA:
- Wash and soak chana dal in enough water for 3-4 hours.
- In another bowl soak almonds for 1 hour. Drain and peel the skin. Pat dry and grind these to make coarse paste. Set this aside.
- Drain the water and add chana dal to pressure cooker with 2½ cups of water.
- Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles or until dal turns soft not mushy. When the steam settles drain excess water from dal and spread it on muslin cloth for 5 minutes.
- Now grind this dal to coarse and set aside. In a heavy bottom cooking pan add ghee and when it starts to warm add coarse ground chana dal mixture.
- Stir on medium low flame for five minutes and add coarse ground almond paste to this and stir to combine. Cook till raw smell wafts.
Now slowly add milk and continue to cook by adding saffron strands until the mixture starts to change color.
- This will nearly take 10-12 minutes. When the mixture starts to come together and starts to leave the sides add in sugar and cardamom powder.
- Stir until sugar is well combined. By now the mixture will look nice golden. Turn off the flame and serve warm by garnishing with silver warq or ghee fried chopped nuts.
- Add love to make this badami chana dal halwa taste ‘Yummy’.
Review on Kinder Schoko-Bons Crispy
I love the idea of edible gifts. So with the festive season on, you may be looking out for gifts for your loved ones. Kinder Schoko-Bonds Crispy launched by Ferrero makes wonderful edible gifts for any occasion.
As tomorrow being Raksha Bandhan, a day when a loving bond of brother and sister is celebrated and oath to take care of them is pledged….why not gift something which you can trust and which is far-off coloring and preservatives. Gift the best this Raksha Bandhan, Gift Kinder Schoko-Bons Crispy.
Kinder Schoko-Bons Crispy are an oval shaped, bite sized single consumption unique praline made of milk and cocoa creams with a crispy wafer inside and crunchy cocoa sprinkles outside. The innovative packing ensures perfect hygiene and taste. The Kinder Schoko-Bons Crispy pack contains 4 or 9 prices at Rs.40 and Rs.85 respectively and its candy shape come with a tear band which is convenient to open and indulge.
Kinder Schoko-Bons Crispy is positioned as a family consumption treat and the multi pack makes it ideal for sharing with loved ones the by living up to the brand promise of ‘The taste of togetherness’.
Halwa looks simply superb.
The addition of almonds is indeed a great idea.. Thanks lubna for sharing the recipe
Looks really delish!
The halwa looks absolutely delish, have to make this one…thank you for sharing
I’ve only ever tried to make halwa once and it was a disaster! Will see if I can get someone else to make this for me as it looks delicious!
I will try to get someone to make this for me as it looks delicious!
My husband loves halwa I don’t know how to make it ,but my mum make he for him when we visit . I have to no excuses now- simple recipe
Mum makes it for him**
I think I’ve had Chana daal halwa once before…it is delicious! Never realized it was so simple to make. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Christal Joan says
I’m not generally a fan of halwa but your pictures look beautiful mashaAllah
Fozia S says
Oh I have halwa but not tried this particular recipe. Will have to try it
I love chana daal halwa but it involves so much hard work to make.
The Pinkcity Dairy says
Badami Chana Dal Halwa Dish looking so Yummy and Healthy… Great Recipe by Kitchen Flavours