Hyderabadi Keema Seviyan Recipe is filling and flavoursome. Boiled, fine roasted thin seviyan (vermicelli) is added to spicy lamb mince (keema) and cooked till done. Keema Seviyan (semiya) has always been our Eid special breakfast recipe.
Keema Seviyan – Vermicelli With Spicy Lamb Mince
The recipe of Keema Seviyan is just an upgraded version of khare seviyan (namkeen seviyan) with lamb mince. There are different ways of making this recipe. The recipe I am sharing with you today is simple and easy to make.
You can relish this tangy and savory seviyan recipe in breakfast or as snack or as light meal.
I used thin variety of roasted seviyan to make this recipe. These seviyan are also known as Chutte ke Seviyan. During Ramadan, I stock packs of these seviyan as these are fast and easy to cook. Mutton Keema Semiya is much loved Iftar and Eid Party recipe. On Eid day, we eat 2-3 dates (khajoor) and then keema seviyan and tea.
Just to speed up the cooking process, I sometimes add leftover keema fry to khare seviyan. This reduces cooking time and saves me time.
Made with just handful of easily available pantry ingredients, keema seviyan recipe is easy and tasty.
I use fine thin roasted seviyan in making keeme ke seviyan. These seviyan are available throughout the year in grocery stores in Hyderabad and Secunderabad. During Eid time, you can see many shops selling these seviyan. Even you can see people selling these on pushcarts on the streets of Charminar.
These seviyan are made out of whole wheat flour and all purpose flour. We can call these as Indian Pasta. Both roasted and unroasted seviyan are available in market. If the seviyan are not roasted, you need to roast them before cooking. Unroasted seviyan are either shallow fried in ghee or oil before use.
Best Savory Indian Eid Snacks
Tips & Main Ingredients
Seviyan – You can use any available variety of seviyan. I used thin roasted ones. If using unroasted seviyan, roast them before using.
How To Roast Seviyan?
Heat 2-3 tbsp. of ghee or oil to a pan and add seviyan. On a low flame roast seviyan by continuously stirring them.
Stir till seviyan start to change color. When the seviyan start to look light golden, then turn off the flame and immediately transfer them to kitchen plate.
Evenly spread them and leave to cool. Store in a clean and dry moisture free container, till use.
Keema – You can use lamb or chicken mince. I prefer using lamb mince. Lamb mince adds flavour and brings taste in the recipe. If mince is not available, you can add shredded chicken or bite size boneless mutton pieces too.
Tip: You can prepare keema a day earlier and store it in a clean and dry moisture free container in fridge.
Ginger-Garlic Paste – I use homemade ginger garlic paste. This will add flavour and taste to meat.
Garam Masala – This will bring aroma, flavour and taste in the recipe. Follow my recipe to make garam masala at home.
Can I Use Bambino or MTR or Anil Brand Vermicelli?
Yes, you can use any available brand vermicelli in making this recipe. As I mentioned, chute ki seviyan are thin and look like angle hair pasta. So, these cook amazingly fast.
If you are using Bambino or MTR or Anil or any other brand, just roast and boil the vermicelli before use. If you are using roasted vermicelli, then boil it as per the instructions and use it in the recipe.
Quick & Easy Keema Semiya Recipe
I call this cheat’s way of making keema semiya. Whenever, there is leftover keema fry, I either add it to semiya or maggi or stuff it in sandwich. So, here is very simple recipe of keema semiya with leftover keema fry.
- In a pan add oil and when it heats up add sliced onion and chopped green chilli. Fry till onion turns nice golden brown.
- To this add ginger-garlic paste and stir till raw smell wafts.
- Now add minced coriander and chopped mint leaves. Fry for a minute.
- Add ¼ cup of water and to this add red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt.
- Bring this to boil and add leftover keema fry. When the water is on rolling boil, add crushed seviyan.
- Lower the flame and stir gently. These seviyan will cook in 3-5 minutes. Turn off the flame.
- Tightly cover with a lid and leave for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with minced coriander leaves and serve by sprinkle a tbsp. of lemon juice.
Note: As we are adding already cooked keema fry, adjust salt in seviyan accordingly.
- 200 g Keema | Minced Lamb Meat
- 1 big Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Green chili, finely chopped
- ¾ tbsp. Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp. Red chili powder
- ½ tbsp. Garam Masala
- ¼ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- ¼ tbsp. roasted Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- 2 cups roasted Seviyan
- ½ tbsp. Oil
- Salt, pinch
- 10 Cashews
- 1 tbsp. Oil
- 1 tbsp. minced Coriander leaves
- 4 Lemon wedges
How To Make Keema Seviyan
- To make keema seviyan, first we will boil seviyan and then cook keema. Then we will mix these together and cook for 3-4 minutes.
How To Boil Seviyan
- If using chutte ki seviyan, break it into small pieces and set aside.
- Bring 6 cups of water to boil by adding pinch of salt and tbsp. of oil.
- When the water comes to rolling boil, add seviyan and turn off the flame.
- Stir and completely drain the water.
- Spread on a dry kitchen plate and using a fork gently separate the stands.
- In a pan add oil and fry cashews until light golden brown. Remove on a kitchen tissue and set aside.
How To Make Keema For Seviyan
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients listed below ‘For Keema’ except oil.
- Mix well. Cover and leave this to marinade for 15 minutes.
- Add marinaded keema to a pan and cook on medium flame, till all the moisture gets absorbed.
- Now add oil and stir-fry keema till cooked.
- To this add boiled seviyan and stir gently. Stir till all the ingredients are properly cooked.
- Garnish with freshly minced coriander leaves and fried cashews.
- Serve warm along with lemon wedges.
- Add love to make this keema seviyan recipe taste 'Yummy'.
Lubna's Serving Suggestions:
Mutton keema seviyan can be served with pickle, dahi ki chutney or shami kebab.
As these are usually made in snack or breakfast, keema seviyan are served with pickle.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 371Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 382mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 13g