Guntur Khichdi is aromatic, flavoursome, easy to make, comforting and filling one pot meal recipe. I make this when run out of veggies or ideas to fix lunch or dinner. Khichdi can easily be made in breakfast, lunch and dinner.
What is Khichdi?
Khichdi (also khichidi, khichri, khichdee, khichadi, khichuri, khichari and many other variants) is a South Asian rice dish made from rice and lentils (dal). Kichdi is commonly considered as India’s comfort food, and was the inspiration for the Anglo-Indian dish of kedgeree. Compared to North Indian style Kichidi, South Indian Kichidi is not like porridge.
South Indian, mainly Guntur style Kichidi is just like bagara rice, with rice and red lentils as the main ingredients. This Guntur Khichdi is loaded with aroma of cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Kichidi is mainly served in breakfast with egg omelet and kacha khatta. It can also be served with pickle and papad or gongura (ambada) or chukka kura (chukae ki bhaji) mutton. Kichidi with chukka mutton is my family favorite recipe.
Easy Comfort Food Recipes
Main ingredients to make Guntur Khichdi are,
Rice: You can use either of Sona Masoori, Jeera Samba, Millet, Basamati rice varieties.
Masoor Dal | Red Lentils: Apart from masoor dal, you can use moong or chana dal in making khichdi.
Green Chilies: These will bring spiciness in the recipe.
Ginger-Garlic Paste: Fresh ground ginger-garlic paste will bring much needed flavour in the recipe.
Garam Masala: Don’t forget to check out my easy homemade garam masala recipe.
Cloves, Cardamom and Cinnamon: Only three spices are used in making this Guntur khichdi recipe.
- 2 cups Plain rice
- 1/2 cup Masoor dal | Red Lentils
- 2-3 Green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. Ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ tbsp. Garam Masala
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- ¼ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- 2-3 Cloves
- 1-2 Cardamom
- 2 Cinnamon
- 3-4 tbsp. Ghee/Oil
- 5 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- 3 springs Coriander leaves, minced
- 3 springs Mint leaves, minced
How to make Guntur Khichdi Recipe
- Wash and soak rice along with red lentils in enough water for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat ghee in a coking bowl, and then add onions, cloves, cardamon and cinnamon.
- Saute onions till translucent. Now add ginger-garlic paste and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add chopped tomatoes along with green chilies and saute till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- To this add 5 cups of water along with salt, turmeric and garam masala. When the water starts to boil, add soaked rice and masoor dal.
- Stir and cook covered until rice is cooked perfectly.
- Garnish with minced coriander and mint leaves.
- Serve hot with pickle and pappad.
- Add 'love' to make this masoor dal khichdi taste 'YUMMY'.
I use 2 cups of water to cook 1 cup of rice. The ratio changes depends on the variety of rice you use. This ratio works perfectly well to cook sona masoori rice.
Lubna's Serving Suggestions for Guntur Khichdi Recipe
Guntur Khichdi Recipe is one pot meal recipe. All you need is papad and pickle to finish off the bowl.
This khichdi recipe is also served in breakfast during pre and post wedding functions in Andhra. At that time, this khichdi is served with any one or two of the following,
- Ambadae ki Bhaji
- Ambada Gosht
- Chukkae ki Bhaji Gosht
- Kaccha Katta
- Egg Onion Omelet
- Fried Mutton
- Chicken Sukka
- Mirchi ka Salan
- Til ki Chutney
- Til ka Khatta, etc;
Lubna's Thali Suggestion
Guntur Khichdi + Pudina Chutney + Kacha Khatta + Kebab + Papad + Pickle + Curd
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 612Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 365mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 9gSugar: 6gProtein: 11g