In mood for warm, cheesy and carb loaded recipe…? Then you must try this comforting and soul satisfying Cheese Pav Bhaji. Pav Bhaji is much loved Indian street food and Cheese Pav Bhaji is my humble twist to make this recipe creamier and more delicious.
Must Try Winter Warming Recipes
Winter is here and it is time for some soul soothing soups and comforting one pot meals. Sharing with you my family favorite and readers most loved recipes from my blog,
How to serve Cheese Pav Bhaji
Pav Bhaji is usually served with Pav. Pav is special bread which is readily available in supermarkets. Follow Tarla Dalal ji’s recipe and make fresh, homemade and whole wheat pav at home.
If pav is not available, you can serve this cheese loaded pav bhaji with normal wheat | white | multigrain bread | baguette | burger buns
You can even stuff this in dosa and make Cheese Pav Bhaji Dosa or you can sandwich between two slices of bread and make grill sandwiches.
I sliced the pav into half from center and grilled it in a sandwich griller by smearing with a tbsp. of butter. Buttered and grilled pav is absolutely amazing. Do give this a try!
Which cheese tastes best in making Cheese Pav Bhaji
You can use cheddar | mozzarella | parmesan | pepperjack, etc., I used Amul Cheese Cubes and Slices as they are easily available.
Main Ingredients To Make Pav Bhaji With Cheese
The bhaji in pav bhaji is medley of mixed vegetables and rich Indian spices. This bhaji is often made with potatoes, green peas, cauliflower, beans, etc. You can always play around by adding more vegetables of your choice or by increasing and decreasing the ratio of vegetables. Sometimes, I make pav bhaji only with potatoes, onions and tomatoes. The main ingredients needed to make bhaji in pav bhaji are,
Vegetables to put in pav bhaji are,
Potatoes, Green Peas, Cauliflower, French Beans, Carrot are most commonly used in making pav bhaji. Some add beets, cabbage and capsicum (green bell peppers) too. Choice of vegetables depends on taste and availability.
Whatever be you choice of vegetables onion and tomatoes goes with them. The creamy base of bhaji masala is made of onion and tomato mixture only.
Cooking Vegetables for Pav Bhaji
You can either pressure cook these vegetables or you can steam them in microwave safe bowl or in instant pot or in steamer basket.
For cooking directly on stovetop, bring a pot of water to boil and then add half tbsp. of salt. Add chopped vegetables and cover with a lid. Cook till the vegetables turn soft (not mushy). This is time consuming method. You can either pressure cook or steam veggies to reduce time.
Spices needed are,
Red chili powder, Turmeric powder and Pav Bhaji Masala Powder.
Pav Bhaji Masala Powder – You can use store bought pav bhaji masala powder or you can make it at home. I use Everest Pav Bhaji Masala Powder.
Coriander Leaves – Freshly chopped coriander leaves will bring flavour and aroma in the recipe.
Cheese Cubes – I used Amul cheese cubes, you can use any cheese of your choice.
Garam Masala – Pav bhaji powder and garam masala powder, together will bring heat and flavour in this recipe. I have written a detailed recipe on homemade garam masala. Do check it and try making your own garam masala at home.
Butter – Authentic pav bhaji recipe calls for butter, you can skip it and use oil or ghee.
- 2 Big Potatoes (washed, peeled and cubed)
- 1 big Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 Onion, finely slices
- 2 Green chilies, finely chopped
- ½ cup green Peas, optional
- ¾ cup Carrot cubes
- ½ cup 1 inch size cut French beans
- ½ cup Cauliflower florets
- 1 tbsp. Red chili powder
- ¼ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp. Pav Bhaji Masala
- 3 tbsp. minced fresh Coriander leaves
- 2 Cheese Cubes, I used Amul
- ½ tbsp. Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 2 tbsp. minced Coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- 4 Pav
- 2 Cheese Slices, I used Amul
- ½ cup sliced Onions
- 4 Lemon wedges
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 2 tbsp. Cheese Pav Bhaji
How to make Bhaji for Cheese Pav Bhaji
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil and add cauliflower florets along with pinch of salt and turmeric powder. Turn off the flame and after 2 minutes drain and set aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add cubed potatoes, carrots, green peas and French beans. To this add 3 cups of water pinch of salt and garam masala.
- On medium flame, pressure cook for 3 whistles. Turn off the flame and set aside, till pressure settles. Once the pressure settles, strain and collect the water in a bowl. Leave the veggies in the strainer.
- Grate the cheese cubes and set aside.
- In a pan add oil and fry sliced onions until they turn translucent. Now add chopped tomatoes, green chilies, red chili powder and turmeric powder.
- When the onion-tomato mixture starts to leave oil from sides, add boiled potatoes, carrots, peas, French beans and cauliflower florets. Mash gently using potato masher or backside of a ladle.
- Now add salt, pav bhaji masala and garam masala. Stir and add 1½ cups of water (use the water in which we pressure cooked veggies).
- Cook by covering with a lid for 8-10 minutes. Stir in grated cheese, butter and minced coriander leaves. Cook for another 4-5 minutes and turn off the flame.
How to make Pav for Cheese Pav Bhaji
- Slice all the pavs from center and set aside.
- On a pan melt butter and add above made bhaji.
- When it starts to sizzle, place the inner side of pav first on pan and gently toast it. Repeat and toast the other side too.
- Remove and place them in a serving plate. Serve warm with piping cheesy pav bhaji.
- Add love to make this cheese pav bhaji taste ‘Yummy’.
Lubna's Serving Suggestions:
In a bowl, add cheesy pav bhaji and garnish with sliced onions, cheese slice and minced coriander leaves. Serve hot with toasted pav.
Cheesy Pav Bhaji can be relished as a snack or you can make this in dinner. You can even make this in lunch.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 510Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 594mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 12gSugar: 13gProtein: 15g