In my today’s post, much loved and adored Indian Classic Dessert Gajar ka Halwa goes vegan and gluten free. With the present lockdown situation where there is shortage in supply of vegetables and grocery, this vegan carrot halwa is a bliss.
No Milk, No Sugar, No Ghee Carrot Halwa
No Milk – I have used almond paste in making this halwa. Any nut milk or oat milk will be fine.
No Sugar – I have used organic jaggery. Try using date syrup or paste or jaggery powder.
No Ghee – Carrot halwa is known for its richness and it comes from ghee. But you can easily substitute ghee with olive oil. I have seen gajar ka halwa made with coconut oil, but I have never tried it. You can give it a try if you have coconut oil at home.
You can also try these,
Which Carrots are Best for Halwa?
Traditionally Gajar ka Halwa is mostly made with seasonal pink carrots. But you can also make carrot halwa with orange carrots. Pink carrots are bit sweet than normal orange carrots. So, if you are using pink carrots adjust the sweetness in the recipe.
Vegan Gajar ka Halwa Recipe
Vegan Carrot Halwa | Gajar ka Halwa is a delicious dessert prepared with grated carrots, jaggery, olive oil, cardamom powder and almonds. As I was making it a vegan, I have used almond paste in making this recipe. You can use almond milk or any nut milk. Jaggery will impart nice hue to the recipe. When I am not using organic jaggery, I grate and melt the jaggery, strain it and then add it to the recipe. Do give this recipe a try today…
Let the spirit of Ramadan remain in our hearts and light up our souls from within. Ramadan Kareem.
Vegan Carrot Halwa | Gajar ka Halwa
- 250 g Carrots
- ¾ cup Jaggery, grated
- ½ tbsp. Cardamom powder
- 10 Almonds
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tbsp. chopped almonds or cashews
How to make Vegan Carrot Halwa
- Soak almonds in lukewarm water for 15 minutes. Remove the skin and grind to make a coarse paste.
- Thoroughly wash and peel the carrots. Wash again.
- Tap the carrots with tissue or kitchen towel. Grate the carrots and set aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and fry chopped almonds or cashews until nice golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan add grated carrots and fry on medium flame, stirring continuously for five minutes.
- When the carrots start to change color. Add in coarsely ground almonds. Stir and fry for another five minutes.
- Now add in grated jaggery and cardamom powder. Stir well. Cook for 10 minutes by stirring occasionally on low flame by covering with a lid.
- When the carrots turn soft and the halwa starts to leave the sides. Turn off the flame and leave for 10 minutes.
- Before serving garnish with chopped and fried almonds (or cashews) and serve warm.