Gobi Matar Keema is flavoursome Indian Side Dish recipe made with minced cauliflower and luscious green peas. This is vegan, gluten-free and nutrient rich recipe. Serve this gobi matar with steamed bowl of white or brown rice or with piping hot rotis or chapathis.
Phool Gobi Matar Recipe
In the process of organizing categories, I was going through my blog archives today and found that I have not posted a single recipe with Cauliflower (phool gobi). It felt strange, as cauliflower is made very often in my house. A stir-fry or curry of cauliflower with matar (green peas) and aloo (potatoes), are my favorite.
Gobi matar keema is my favourite recipe. Cauliflower is blanched and chopped coarsely to resemble mince (keema) and then cooked in combo with green peas, onion, tomato and few spices, which bring aromatic flavour in the recipe.
Cauliflower | Phool Gobi
If you are travelling by road during early winters from Khammam to Hyderabad, you can easily find piles and piles of fresh cauliflower being sold on either side of the road. At that time of the year, cauliflowers are mostly sold for Rs.4-5/- a head. Though cauliflowers are available all through the year, its production is at peek during fall (season between summer and winter). During that time, in most of the houses…cauliflower pickle is made to last for a year.
Tips to make best gobi keema matar
I used chopper to coarsely ground the florets.
You can even pulse florets in mixer using pulse | whizz option.
Add ½ of tbsp. of salt and turmeric to water and bring to boil. Then add cauliflower florets and cook for 2 minutes. Drain the water and set aside.
I used fresh green peas, which are plenty in season now. You can use frozen ones too. If using frozen peas, thaw them before using.
If using fresh green peas, I recommend pressure cooking peas for a whistle with enough water.
- 1 head Cauliflower
- ½ cup green Peas, fresh/frozen (I used fresh peas)
- 2 Onions, finely sliced
- 1 Tomato, finely chopped
- 1 Green chili, chopped
- ½ tbsp. Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1½ Red chili powder
- ½ tbsp. Cumin powder
- ½ tbsp. Coriander powder
- ½ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp. Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp. minced Coriander leaves
- ½ tbsp. dry Fenugreek leaves/Kasuri methi
- Salt, as per taste
- 3 tbsp. Oil
How to make Gobi Matar Keema Recipe
- If using fresh peas, check step number 2. If using frozen ones then defrost, wash and soak in water until use.
- Separate cauliflower in medium size florets. Add these to warm salted water. Leave for 10 minutes. Drain and mince these florets into fine or coarse in a mixer or chopper and set aside. I used chopper and chopped cauliflower florets into coarse.
- In the meantime, wash and pressure cook fresh green peas for 2 whistles. The peas should be soft not mushy. Drain the water and set these aside. If using frozen peas, skip this step.
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel add oil and when it heats up fry sliced onions till translucent. Now add chopped tomatoes and green chili.
- When the tomatoes turn mushy, add ginger-garlic paste. Fry till raw smell wafts and add red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Stir and add coarsely ground cauliflower. Stir well and add cooked/frozen green peas. Combine well by adding salt and minced coriander leaves.
- Cook covered on medium flame for 3-4 minutes by adding 4-5 tbsp. of water. Once the water evaporates, stir gently and cook till dry by adding garam masala.
- Gobi Matar Keema is a dry and crisp dish; if you stir vigorously it will turn mushy. Add kasuri methi and check for salt. Cook for 1-2 minutes and turn off the flame. Serve hot with chapatis or rice.
- Add love to make this Gobi Matar Keema taste ‘Yummy’.
Lubna's Serving Suggestions:
Serve this warm gobi matar keema with piping hot rotis or chapatis.
As this is a dry sabzi recipe, you can stuff this in bread or pav to make gobi matat sandwiches.
You can use this as stuffing and make gobi parathas.
Make a quick and easy thali by serving this gobi matar keema with rice, roti, dal, dahi, papad and pickle.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 236mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 7gSugar: 8gProtein: 6g