Looking out for simple and easy to make recipe to go with rice and roti? The try this Sem ki Phalli Aloo ka Salan | Chikkudukaya Bangaladumpa Kura (Curry), a protein rich plant-based main meal recipe. This is vegan and gluten-free recipe. Sem Aloo can easily be served with roti, paratha or rice.
Sem (Same) Phali | Chikkudukaya Season
Recently my BIL has bought a huge bag of these sem phalli. My love for these beans is not hidden from anyone in the family. So whenever someone is coming to Chennai from Andhra or Telangana, they make it a point to bring these gorgeous beans for me. As March is near to end season for these beans, I am glad to get these beans in time to relish them.
Must-Try Sem Phalli | Chikkudukaya Recipes
Here are some of my favorite sem phalli recipes to try,
As I have already posted few of my favorite sem phalli recipes, I thought of sharing with you my mom’s recipe of Sem ki phalli Aloo ki Sabzi. My mom cooks delicious recipes by mix matching the vegetables. This is one good example to it. Earthy and starchy potato when combined and cooked with gorgeous green and buttery sem phalli, the result is finger lickingly yum. Do try this out before these beans bid adieu….
- 250 gms. Sem Ki Phalli, trimmed on sides, slit open and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium sized Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Onion, sliced
- ½ tbsp. Ginger-Garlic paste
- ¼ tbsp. roasted Coriander powder
- 1 tbsp. Red chili powder
- ¼ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp. minced Coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp. Kasuri Methi (dry fenugreek), optional
How to make Sem ki Phalli Aloo ki Sabzi
- After trimming and cutting the sem ki phalli, rinse it thoroughly along with potato cubes and set aside.
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel or pressure cooker, add oil and when it heats up add sliced onions.
- When the onions start to turn translucent add ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute on medium flame. To this add cubed potatoes, sem ki phalli, red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. Stir for 3-4 minutes.
- Add a cup of water and cover with a lid. Cook till potato cubes turns soft. (If using pressure cooker, cook for 2 whistles and wait till steam settles).
- Stir in coriander powder and kasuri methi. Cook till water is completely absorbed. Stir in between.
- Add minced coriander leaves and turn off the flame. Serve hot with rice or roti.
- Add ‘love’ to make sem aloo ki sabzi taste ‘YUMMY’.
Lubna's Serving Suggestions:
Serve sem ki phalli aloo ki salan with roti or paratha.
You can even serve this with hot steamed rice and dal or rasam.
Make a quick, simple and well-balanced meal thali with sem aloo ki sabzi, rice, roti, dal (sambar or any flavoured dal like tomato dal, khatti dal, dhabha style dal fry, etc,) papad, pickle and curd.
As I mentioned in the post, sem phalli is called Papdi Lilva i Gujrati. The recipe sem phalli aloo ki sabzi is called Papdi Lilva Bateta nu Shaak.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 138Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 245mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g