Story behind cake making,
One afternoon the kiddos were at my friend Rajitha’s place for playdate. Regular readers of my blog know Rajitha, But for the new ones visiting this post let me direct you to the earlier post from Rajitha to know more about her and her cooking. Coming back to the recipe and story behind making of this innovative recipe is as follows….
As I said kiddos were playing at Rajitha’s place, I went to check what Lil’M was doing? To my surprise, I saw the girls sitting on a mat, in a complete silence and painting neatly in their books. I was really surprised or rather say shocked to see the girls sitting neatly and doing their work. When I asked Rajitha what’s the magical spell she has done on them? Rajitha with a sweet smile said, yaar nothing. I promised them to make a cool black forest cake for their million dollar silence.
I liked the idea but I remember her telling me that her oven is under repair. I asked her how is she going to bake a cake with a oven? She said, I bake cake in idli cooker or in pressure cooker. I was completely surprised by her words and sat wondering how is she going to bake a cake in cooker. She patted on my back and said, why don’t you take pictures while I bake the epic black forest cake in cooker.
As I get lot of requests to post cake recipes without oven, I thought this will be perfect opportunity to record a cake recipe. I could not do complete justice to the final cake pictures as the kids became very restless, seeing the cake. I promise to upload new pictures, when I try this cake in my kitchen. Till then enjoy reading and making this wonderful cake. Surprise your loved ones by making this cake without oven.
Must Try 2-Minute Microwave Muffin Recipes
Chocolate, Oats & Banana Muffins
Eggless Black Forest Cake Using Idli Cooker
- 2 cups Maida/all purpose flour + 2 tbsp. for dusting
- ½ tbsp. Baking powder
- ¼ tbsp. Baking soda
- ½ cup Milk
- ½ cup melted Butter + ½ tbsp. for greasing
- 4 tbsp. unsweetened Cocoa powder
- ¾ tbsp. Vanilla extract
- 3/4 tin Condensed Milk
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 cups Whipped cream, check NOTES
- 2 tbsp. Icing sugar
- ½ tbsp. Vanilla essence
FOR FILLING & DECORATION:
- ½ cup fresh Cherries
- 3-4 tbsp. Dark chocolate shavings
FOR SUGAR SYRUP:
- ¼ cup Water
- 2 tbsp. Sugar
- ¼ tbsp. Vanilla essence
- 4-5 cups Sea salt/fine sand
How to make Eggless Black Forest Cake in Idli Cooker | Pressure Cooker
TO MAKE EGGLESS BLACK FOREST CAKE:
- Add sea salt or fine sand to ¼ th level of idli | pressure cooker. (If you are using pressure cooker, don’t keep whistle). Keep a rack on top and cover it with lid. Leave the cooker on low flame for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder all together for 2-3 times. This process is just to incorporate everything together.
- Combine butter, milk, vanilla extract and condensed milk. Now slowly fold in the sifted flour. Mix everything gently to avoid lumps.
- Take a bowl (aluminium or steel) which fits exactly in the center of your Idli cooker | pressure cooker and
grease it with butter and then dust it with all purpose flour.
- Now pour the batter into the greased and dusted bowl. Tap around to make sure the batter is scattered evenly. Make sure to pour the batter up to 2/3rd capacity of the bowl.
- Carefully place this bowl in the pre-heated cooker and cover with lid. Bake on low flame for 20-25 minutes.
- Start to check whether the cake is done by inserting a wooden skewer or toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean then our cake is ready.
- Turn off the flame and leave the cake in the cooker for another 3-4 minutes.
- Now slowly but carefully take out the cake from the cooker and leave it cool, to come down to room temperature by placing the cake on the wire.
How to make Sugar Syrup for Cake?
- Take a bowl and add water, sugar and vanilla essence. Stir till sugar is completely dissolved.
- De-seed cherries and if you are using canned ones drain the water and set aside the cherries.
How to Use Whipped Cream Powder for Icing Cakes?
- Place your mixing bowl and wire whisk (blades of electric whisker) in fridge for one hour.
- Whisk whipped cream powder, vanilla essence, chilled water and sugar until soft peaks. Set in fridge until use.
Assembling & Decorating Black Forest Cake
- Cut the cake into 2 or 3 layers horizontally depending on size of the cake.
- Now brush sugar syrup on top of each layer. Gently spread ¼ inch thick icing on top of first layer and gently place chopped cherries on it.
- On top of this place another cake layer, brush with sugar syrup and spread ¼ inch thick icing. Gently place chopped cherries and place another cake layer.
- Brush it with sugar syrup and apply then ½ inch thick icing. Gently using pastry knife spread across the icing around the cake covering the cake completely.
- If you are good at piping, pour icing into a piping bag and make swirls on the cake.
- Garnish with chopped cherries and shaved dark chocolate.
- Leave the cake to sit in fridge for 30-40 minutes. Serve cool.
- Add love to make this cake taste ‘Yummy’.
Which is the best whipping cream to use in cakes?
- Rajitha used Instant Whipped Cream powder in making this cake. I also use the same brand for frosting my cakes.
- She used 50 gms. pack of BlueBird Brand of whipped cream which is easily available in many supermarkets or you can order online @ BlueBird India.com
- Check label on the packet to know how to whip it up or you can even check BlueBird India site to know more on the product.