Gosh ka Mahekhaliya
What is Mahi Khaliya?
Can I substitute mutton with any vegetable or meat in this recipe?
You can easily substitute mutton with any vegetable of your choice.
Spices and nuts used in making gosht ka mahekhaliya are,
White sesame seeds and peanuts: Roasted and powdered sesame and peanut seeds will give thickness to the gravy.
Dry Coconut: Dry coconut is mostly used in mutton gravy based recipe. This will give flavour to the recipe.
Nigella Seeds: Also called as Kalongi, these seeds when roasted and powdered will add distinctive nutty and peppery taste to the recipe.
Coriander Seeds, Cloves and Cinnamon: Bring nice aroma in the recipe.
Loving this mahi khaliya recipe? Then you must surely try these mutton delicacies,
- ½ kg. Lamb meat with bones
- 2 Onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp. Red chili powder
- 3 Green chilies, small slit in middle
- ½ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp. thick Tamarind paste
- 3 cloves Garlic, peeled
- 10 Curry leaves
- 2 sprigs Coriander leaves, for garnish
Spices To Roast
- 1 tbsp. white Sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp. Peanuts
- 2 tbsp. thin Dry coconut slices
- ¼ tbsp. Nigella seeds | Kalongi
- ½ tbsp. Coriander seeds
- 2 Cloves
- 1 1’inch stick Cinnamon
How to make Hyderabadi Gosht ka Mahekhaliya
STEP 1: Marinating Mutton:
Clean and wash lamb meat with bones thoroughly under running water for 3-4 times. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt to lamb meat pieces and set aside by covering with lid for 30 minutes.
STEP 2: Roasting the Spices:
On low flame dry roast sesame seeds, peanuts, nigella seeds and dry coconut slices separately. Once peanuts are cool enough to handle, remove the skin of peanuts by rubbing them in between your palms.
STEP 3: Frying Onions and Green Chilies:
Add oil to heavy bottom cooking vessel and fry sliced onions until nice golden. In the same oil fry green chilies until they just start to change color. Set aside.
STEP 4: Pressure Cooking the Mutton:
Cook marinated lamb meat with bone pieces by adding enough water in pressure cooker for 4-5 whistles or until meat is cooked till done.
STEP 5: Making Mahikhaliya Masala
By the time pressure settles down the cooker, grind the dry roasted sesame seeds, de-skinned peanuts along with dry coconut pieces and nigella seeds. Make smooth paste by adding fried onions, garlic cloves, cinnamon stick and cloves. Add 1-2 tbsp. water if needed.
STEP 6: Making Mutton Mahikhaliya Recipe
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel, add oil and to this add above ground masala. Fry for 1-2 minutes or until oil starts to leave the sides of the vessel. Now add pressure cooked lamb meat pieces.
- Stir until the masala coats up the pieces. Add tamarind paste and green chilies along with 1½ cups of water.
- Add curry leaves and cook for 15-20 minutes on low flame or until the meat pieces are tender and gravy thickens.
- Check for salt and turn of the flame by adding fresh chopped coriander leaves.
- Add love to make this authentic recipe taste ‘Yummy’.
Lubna's Serving Suggestions:
As mutton mahi khaliya is spicy and sour, tamarind based gravy recipe, this cab easily be served with roti or rice or naan. Here are some of the meal ideas by including gosht ka mahi khaliya,
Bagara Khana + Dalcha + Gosht ka Mahikhaliya + Dahi ki Chutney + Burhani + Salad + Gajar ka Halwa
Jeera Rice + Dal Fry + Mutton Mahekhaliya + Raita + Gil-e-Firadaus + Watermelon Lemonade
Roti or Naan + Gosht ka Mahekhaliya + Shami Kebab + Mango Custard + Cranberry Lemon Fizz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 343Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 220mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 23g