If you are looking out for an easy to make jar snacks with little ingredients, then this Murmura Chivda is for you. Murmura Chivda | Murmura Namkeen | Kara Pori is a spicy, gluten-free, vegan and easy to make Indian snack recipe. Murmura Chiwda is spicy puffed rice mixture made with puffed rice, fried green chilies, dry coconut and peanuts as main ingredients.
I love cooking and reading
Yet another long weekend is here. My weekends mostly end in whizz, with me toiling in the kitchen either cooking or baking. So, this weekend, I thought of making some make ahead munching snacks, to save little time for me. Months back I have downloaded few books on kindle, but not getting time to read any. If I enjoy anything after cooking then it is reading. I love to read fiction and if the book is engaging, I end up staying awake till wee hours of the night to complete it.
But with growing priorities and work, I get exhausted by the time I hit the bed and sleep follows. Though I always carry my e-reader to bed, I rarely open it to read a paragraph or page before sleep engulfs me. So this weekend I thought I will complete at least one book from my long pending downloaded book collection. Hope I read at least few chapters. Do you read too? If so tell me what are you currently reading?
Marmarala Mixture – Spicy Puffed Rice Chivda
Talking about make ahead savory jar snack recipe, I remember puffed rice mixture, marmarala (Telugu name for puffed rice) mixture. This is quite addictive munching snack. I still remember, my mom making a big jar of this chivda and leaving it in my room. Murmura chivda has always been my favorite and rescuer of those late night hungers, when I use to stay till late for studying.
This murmura chivda or namkeen as they call it, is every easy to make, spicy to taste and will stay fresh if stored in an air tight container for a week. I have added grated dry coconut, roasted peanuts, thinly sliced and fried green chilies, crisp fried curry leaves to roasted puffed rice. Beware this crunchy, nutty and spicy murmura namkeen is an addictive snack, so make it in plenty, if you want this to last over this long weekend. Try this today!
Must-Try Easy to Make Puffed Rice Recipes,
Tips and Variations In Making Perfect Murmura Chat Recipe
I have added roasted peanuts in making this chivda recipe. You can add fried or roasted cashews or almonds or both.
I have added dry coconut, you can try adding fresh coconut pieces, fried in oil, too.
Always remember to store this chivda in clean and moisture free container. Use clean dry spoon to take chivda from container.
- 300 g Puffed Rice | Murmura | Marmaralu
- ½ cup roasted Peanuts
- ½ Dry coconut, grated or finely sliced
- 6 green Chilies, washed, pat clean with dry cloth and cut into long strips
- 10-12 fresh Curry leaves, washed, patted and let to dry completely
- ¼ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- ¾ tbsp. Red Chili powder, adjust according to your taste
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt, as per taste
- 2 tbsp. Oil
How to make Murmura Chivda
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel add oil and when it heats up add grated dry coconut and fry till it turns nice brown.
- Drain and remove on to a kitchen plate and leave it to cool.
- In the same vessel, add cut green chilies and fry until they turn crisp. Remove and set aside. Now add curry leaves and roast until they turn crisp.
- To this add puffed rice and toss for 1-2 minutes. Now add fried green chili, fried sliced dry coconut, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, sugar and roasted peanuts.
- Toss again until all the ingredients are nicely coated with spices. Check for salt and add if necessary.
- Turn off the flame and remove onto a kitchen plate spread with tissue.
- Add love to make this murmura chivda taste ‘Yummy’.
How to Store Murmura Chivda?
When the murmura chivda reaches the room temperature, store it in a clean, dry and moisture-free air tight container.
Stays fresh for a week.
Lubna's Serving Suggestions:
You can make a quick puffed rice chat with this chivda by mixing chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, lemon juice and chat masala.
If you have red, green and brown chutneys at home, do drizzle some and garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve.
We often have this masala chivda along with our evening tea.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 184Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 100mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g