Hyderabadi Chicken Tahari recipe is a combination of spice, flavour and taste.
One Pot Meals are my favourite and they are saviour on fasting days. As we are only two people fasting, it is not much of work…but back home at my MIL’s house…we are one big family and cooking iftar and seher is a huge task. Iftar is mostly simple with dates, sherbet (drink) and snack/soup. In dinner we make chapattis, 2-3 sabzis and meetha (sweet) and rice with dal, curry and curd in seher. In most of the places, where Muslim Community is more, women gather after Asar (third of five daily prayers performed by Muslims) at one house and do Quran ki Tilawat, Tafseer and Taqreer till Iftar time followed by salawat and duva. These are the days I miss being at home the most.
Today when I sit back and think of the days…I wonder how lil’M will get familiar with all these and how she will get to understand the essence of fasting, Ramadan and religion. Though Lil’M enjoys listening all these from me, her grand ma and her papa…I want her to truly enjoy these by being part it. I think I am bit carried away today…Gearing back and coming to today’s post….by the name you might be wondering what is Tahari??? Tahari is close and lost cousin of Biryani and Pulao.
Tahari has got ingredients of biryani and procedure of pulao. This one pot meal is bliss during fasting days…as you get bit extra time for ibadat (worship). You can find different recipes of tahari on internet…. tarkari ki tahari (vegetable tahari), gosht ki tahari (mutton tahari), aloo ki tahari (potato tahari), etc.., But today I am going to share with you my family favorite iftar dinner recipe Hyderabadi Chicken Tahari. As I mentioned above this is one pot recipe, where rice is added to semi cooked chicken along with all the spices and masalas. Stir, Simmer and Serve…this is as easy as cooking kichdi…with the flavours and aroma of biryani….isn’t it interesting??? Read the preparation steps carefully before you go ahead to try this delicious and easy to make Chicken Tahari.
Ramadan Kareem. May this holy month of Ramadan bring blessings, guidance and forgiveness to all, Ameen!
Hyderabadi Chicken Tahari
- 500 gms. Chicken pieces
- 2 cups Rice, washed and soaked for 15 minutes
- 2 Onions, finely sliced
- 3 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 each Cardamom, Clove & Cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp. Turmeric powder
- ¾ tbsp. Garam Masala
- 6 tbsp. Oil
- Salt, as per taste
- 2 tbsp. Saffron milk (soak few strands of saffron in 2 tbsp. lukewarm milk for 10-15 minutes)
- 1 tbsp. chopped Ginger
- ¾ tbsp. chopped Garlic
- 5 Green Chilies
- ½ cup Coriander leaves
- ¼ cup Mint leaves
- 2 tbsp. minced Coriander leaves
- Grind and make smooth paste of all the ingredients mentioned under ‘To Grind’.
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel, add oil and to this add cinnamon stick, clove and cardamom.
- When the spices starts to release aroma, add sliced onions and fry till translucent. Now add chopped tomatoes, turmeric and above made paste.
- Cook till tomatoes turn soft and oil starts to release from the masala. Add garam masala and chicken pieces. Sauté till chicken pieces get well coated with masala.
- Add saffron milk and stir by adding salt and add ½ cup of water. Cook till chicken turns soft. Now add in soaked rice and stir gently by adding 4 cups of water. Bring this to boil and check for salt.
- Cook covered on low flame until rice is perfectly cooked. Turn off the flame and leave it for 10-15 minutes before opening the lid to serve.
- Gently mix and garnish with minced fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with dahi ki chutney or raita of your choice.
- Add love to make this Hyderabadi Chicken Tahari taste ‘Yummy’.
You can make veg version of this by adding potatoes instead of chicken. Adjust rice and water ratio depending on the type of rice you are using. You can also use basmati rice instead of normal rice in making this recipe, if you are making in a mood to add extra flavour to tahari.