A steaming cup of hot chocolate masala chai | chai spiced hot chocolate is all you need to pamper your senses on a rainy day in winter. Enjoy the flavor of masala chai in the warmth of silky hot chocolate. Believe me when I say, hot chocolate spiced with Indian Chai is truly a delicious combo.
What are the spices used in Hot Chocolate Masala Chai?
Indian Masala Chai calls for aromatic and flavorsome spices. These spices not only flavor the drink, but also gives warming and soothing effect to the body. Indian chai also acts as a natural digestive aid. Adding cocoa powder to masala chai takes the chai to the next level. The main spices used in making this homemade chai hot cocoa are,
- Black peppercorns
- Fennel seeds
- Cinnamon stick
- Nutmeg, optional
Can I make Vegan Chai Hot Chocolate?
How to make Chai Spiced Hot Chocolate with Tea Powder
Make a coarse powder of the masalas. Bring two cups of water to boil and add 2 tbsp. of tea powder (I use Taj Mahal brand tea powder) along with 1 tbsp. of ground masala and 3https://www.tajmahalteahouse.com/ tbsp. of sugar. Allow this to boil for 4-5 minutes. Simmer and add milk. Simmer and let it boil for another 3-4 minutes. Now whisk in 1 tbsp. of unsweetened cocoa powder. Turn off the flame and strain the hot chocolate chai into the cups. Serve hot.
Tips to make Best Hot Chocolate Masala Chai
- If you want to make creamy chai hot chocolate, then use full cream milk.
- You can coarsely ground the spices and store them in air tight jar and use when needed.
- If you are not having unsweetened cocoa, you can add sweetened cocoa too, but reduce the sugar quantity in the recipe.
- If you prefer low fat chai spiced hot chocolate, the use low-fat or skim milk.
- To get the best of the flavor in the recipe, boil the spices in water along milk.
Hot Chocolate Masala Chai
Course: Beverage Cook Time: 7 Minutes
Servings: 2 People Calories: 200 Cal Author: Lubna Karim
- 2 Black | Green tea bags
- 2 tbsp. Honey
- ½ tbsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 cups Milk
- 3 tbsp. unsweetened Cocoa powder
- ½ tbsp. Black peppercorns
- ½ tbsp. Fennel seeds
- ½ tbsp. Ginger
- 4 Cloves
- 3 green Cardamom
- 1 1’inch Cinnamon stick
- ½ tbsp. Nutmeg, optional
How to make Hot Chocolate Masala Chai
- Coarsely grind the ingredients mentioned under ‘TO GRIND’ to make ‘masala chai’ masala.
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil and remove from heat. Drop in tea bags and allow steeping for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags and place the pan back on flame.
- Add one teaspoon of above made coarsely ground masala along with vanilla extract. Leave it to boil for 3-4 minutes. Reduce the flame and pour in milk.
- Keep stirring and don’t allow this to boil. After 4 minutes, add in cocoa powder. Keep stirring until the chai gets desired consistency. Stir in honey and turn off the flame.
- Strain into desired cups and serve hot.
- Add love to make the recipe taste ‘Yummy’.