Arbi ka Khatta | Chamagadda Pulusu
Coming to today’s post Arbi ka Khatta Salan, it is my mom-in-laws and hubby dears’ favourite recipe. These two like their food bit spicy and more tangy. My MIL always makes this spicy and tangy Arbi ka Khatta | Chamadumpa (Chamagadda) Pulusu with very minimal ingredients and I just love this recipe. Arbi (we call this as Arvi at home, do not know why) is boiled, peeled and then cooked in spicy and tangy tamarind-based gravy. This simple recipe is perfectly tangy that will surely tickle your taste buds. Hot steamed rice and this arvi ka khatta salan is simple main meal combo to quick fix your lunch or dinner any day.
You may also like,
Arbi ka Salan – Taro Root cooked in rich and spicy Coconut Gravy.
Arbi-Gosht ka Salan – Taro Root and Mutton Gravy based recipe.
How do I stop itching after cutting Arbi?
Sometimes taro root (arvi | arbi) when touched with bare hands will produce burning sensation or rash on skin. To avoid this, you can either use kitchen glove or using thongs to handle taro root.
By any chance, if you touch the taro root and feeling itchy, then wash your hands with mild hand wash and pat dry. Then add tamarind paste or lemon juice. This will give relief from itching.
How do you peel Arbi easily?
- Soak them in water for at least 15 minutes and wash thoroughly. Pressure cook with enough water for 2 whistles on medium flame.
- Once the pressure settles, discard the water and upon cooling, peel the skin of taro root.
- You can even drop the washed taro root in boiling water and leave it for 5-8 minutes. Turn off and drain the water. Upon cooling peel the skin and use.
- Alternatively, you can microwave washed taro root with enough water for 5-6 minutes. Check if a toothpick. If the toothpick, comes clean then arbi is soft and can be eaily peeled.
- Wash again and then cut into desired shape. Add to the recipe when required.
Variations in making Arvi ka Khatta
If you are not a fan of Arvi | Arbi, then you can easily substitute it with boiled baby potatoes or boiled eggs in this recipe.
Arvi ka Khatta Salan
Arvi ka Khatta Salan | Arbi ka Khatta | Andhra Style Chamadumpa Pulusu is a spicy, tangy and delicious side dish recipe made with taro root (colocasia). This simple, vegan, gluten-free and plant-based recipe is perfect with hot bowl of rice.
- ½ kg Arvi | Arbi | Chamagadda
- 1 big Onion, sliced
- ½ tbsp. Coriander seeds, dry roasted
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 Clove
- 1 Cinnamon (half inch piece)
- 5 tbsp. dry Coconut powder
- 5 tbsp. thick Tamarind extract
- 1½ tbsp. Red chilli powder
- ½ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- Soak arvi in water for 10 minutes and wash thoroughly. Pressure cook for one whistle.
- Let the steam evaporate and then open the lid. Place the arvi in a colander and run cold water. Peel the skin and set aside.
- Grind and make smooth paste of sliced onions, coriander seeds, garlic, clove, cinnamon and dry coconut powder. Set aside.
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel add oil and when it heats up add above ground paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. Fry on low till the mixture turns nice brown (keep any eye otherwise it will burn).
- Now add peeled arvi to the mixture and gently stir to coat the arvi with the masala. Cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Now add tamarind extract and 1½ glasses of water. Mix well.
- Bring this to boil and reduce the flame.
- Cook on low flame for 10-15 minutes. When the oil starts to separate, turn off the flame. Check for salt and add if needed.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve warm.
- Add your 'love' to make this Arvi ka Khatta recipe taste 'YUMMY'.
I have used small and almost same sized arbi in making this recipe as you can see in the pictures.
If you are using the big ones then chop them into roundels after pressure cooking or boiling.
Lubna's Serving Suggestions:
Arvi ka Khatta is always served with hot steamed rice. You don't need any other side dish to go with this combo. This recipe can also be served as side dish with dosa or appam.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 113Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 193mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g
A Page from Lil’M Diary,
It has been long since I told you a food or recipe related story. This happened not because I am bored of telling stories or feeling lazy to ramble. It is because of my little toddler who thinks mom just plays with keyboard making tap-tap sound and sees food on screen all day. She thinks it is some game and she too wants to play. She comes near, sits on my lap and starts to type, clicks mouse and flashes her sweet smile. It is hard to ignore that intoxicatingly beautiful smile.
I try to post in the little time, I get when lil’M sleeps in the night. Mommyhood is the best feeling in the world. The best unpaid job where the returns are never calculated and joys are always doubled. Every milestone crossed by my little angel adds a new feather to my hat. It gives my heart immense relief and great satisfaction of getting my job done correctly.
wow.. looks mouthwatering.. must try recipe
looks super yummy.. I am sure your little one is keeping you pretty busy but it must be very exciting…
Poornima Nair says
Thats a wonderful dish Lubna, sounds delicious. I have a toddler at home too and there is so much to do in the little time she sleeps, blogging has just taken a backseat. But its all fun!
Sushma Madhuchandra says
Though my in-laws cook taro root, I never tried cooking myself! Your pictures are tempting me to try them soon.
Shweta in the Kitchen says
What a delicious preparation, loved every click.
Blog – http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/
Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/ShwetaintheKitchen
Tadka Pasta says
Your curry looks so rich and yummy, Lubna. I just got some arvi and will try and make this soon.
Hamaree Rasoi says
Motherhood is bliss …Full of emotions…
My sister's fav arvi sabji..With rice this really goes well…
Yes lil ones feel left out when we tap on lapzy or compy nd thths the reason i too m a slowblogger!
Loved the recipe dear must try it!
very new to me. looks yum. will try sometime :)Nice clicks as always !
Hari Chandana P says
Looks so perfect and tempting.. awesome clicks too.. thanks for sharing dear 🙂
Priti S says
very nice …in in-law place theya dd curd to make it katta …almost similar way ….this looks so yum and love that spoon 🙂
Vimitha Anand says
Perfect for rotis… nice one
Wow..arvi curry looks so spicy and yummy.
My Monthly Event – Spotlight : "Festive Food"
Shama Nagarajan says
Prathima Rao says
A very delicious gravy Lubna!!
Such a fingerlicking salan,never cooked arvi this way.
Veena Theagarajan says
Very yummy nice color
Sounds oo yumm, more of dried arbi person,but this looks real good
Not a gr8 fan of arvi but yours looks quite motivating 🙂 Lovely Clicks Lubna
Vikis Kitchen says
Tangy arbi salan sounds delicious. Nice clicks. Enjoyed the story behind and very happy to read about the little princess.
Premalatha Aravindhan says
wow yummy gravy,i always perfer such gravy for rice…very tempting clicks:)
Balakrishna Saraswathy says
very tasty and mouth-watering:)
Shanky Jindal says
Reshmi Mahesh says
Delicious recipe and loved the clicks…simple and beautiful…
Beautiful !!!…its too tempting..
Am hosting an event..
U are Invited !!
Do send your entries..
Event happing in my blog do check out 🙂
Event: Romantic-Candle-Light -Dinner.
Plumbing Perth says
Your blog is awesome, I like your recipes presentation. Plumbing Perth
Nandita SS says
I had never heard of this Lubna!! Great recipe and awesome clicks. Thanks for sharing 🙂
Love recipes like these!
Gravy looks so yummy..
Valarmathi Sanjeev says
Excellent clicks Lubna…Awesome 🙂
With taro root i know only to make fry…never tried gravy with it, interesting and looks delicious..
Bhavna Bagri says
arvi looks so delicious….lovely pic as usual….
I cannot say if I've ever had Ravi, but I will be on the look out when I go home in a few months. In the mean time I'm glad it works with potatoes too. Those pictures are tempting. The gravy looks delicious.
I love being a mother, nothing, absolutely nothing compares to it!
There is an Award is waiting for you 🙂
Grab your award
Ongoing Event- Romantic Candle Light Dinner Event @—-