Easy and Simple White Peas Sundal is a protein rich, fat free, vegan and gluten free recipe. Dry White Peas or Safed vatana (Hindi) or Pattani (Tamil) as these are called are soaked in water overnight, then boiled and seasoned are used in making this sundal.
What is Sundal?
Sundal is a traditional South Indian Recipe mostly made with legumes and lentils. This can also be called as a South Indian style salad, in which boiled legumes or lentils are sometimes mixed with chopped or grated seasonal veggies and then tossed in oil by adding cumin, mustard, dry chillies and curry leaves. Varieties of Sundals are very often made during Navaratri Season in India and this is also served as Prasad or offering in Temples.
Sundal as Snack:
Sundal makes a perfect and filling snack. I often pack a small box of sundal along with lunch box as an evening snack. I make sundal to go along with evening tea|coffee. Sundal makes a healthy after school snack or can be a mid-day snack too. Sundal is mostly diabetic friendly and dialysis friendly recipe
What is Sundal made of?
You can make sundal with any easily available legume and lentil. Sundal is mostly made with fresh rajma, mung beans, ground nuts, corn, black eyed peas (lobia), chickpeas (kabuli|kala chana), sweetcorn etc.
Sundal – Iftar Snack
With the current lockdown situation, where in some places, people are finding it difficult to get grocery, fruits and vegetables. I feel recipes like sundal will be quite helpful. Do give this recipe a try!
More Sundal Recipes To Try:
Nutrition in Dried White Peas:
- Dry white peas have almost twice the protein content of green peas.
- Not only dry white peas help in lowering cholesterol, they also benefit in managing blood-sugar disorders due to their high fiber content.
- These dry white peas are good source of potassium and b-vitamin.
White Peas Sundal Recipe | Pattani Sundal
Start by soaking white peas in enough water overnight. Drain the water and pressure cook these until soft. Toss these peas with sliced onion and green chili. Season with salt and pepper powder. Add tempering of cumin and curry leaves. Sprinkle lemon juice and serve warm.
Main Ingredients Needed To Make Dry White Peas Sundal
- Dry White peas
- Onion, peeled and finely sliced
- Green chili, finely chopped
- Pepper powder
- Cumin | Jeera
- Curry leaves, roughly chopped
- Lemon juice, optional
- Olive oil
- 1½ cup dry White peas
- 1 Onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 Green chili, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp. fresh ground Pepper powder
- ½ tbsp. Cumin | Jeera
- 10 fresh Curry leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt, as per taste
- 1 tbsp. Lemon juice, optional
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
How to make White Peas Sundal
- Thoroughly wash and soak dry white peas in enough water for 6-7 hours or overnight.
- Drain the water from the dry white peas and add them to pressure cooker along with 4 cups of water.
- Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles or until they turn soft (not mushy).
- Once the pressure settles, drain the excess water and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat oil and add cumin. When they start to splutter add curry leaves.
- When curry leaves start to change color, add in sliced onions and chopped green chili.
- Fry until onions turn translucent. Now add boiled white peas.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper powder. Toss well and turn off the flame by adding lemon juice.
- Serve warm with tea or coffee.
- Add love to make this Dry White Peas Sundal taste ‘Yummy’.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 151mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 4g