Pulihora | Tamarind Rice
- 2 cups Cooked rice *
- 1/2 cup Tamarind pulp
- 5-6 tbsp. Peanuts, roasted
- Salt to taste
FOR TEMPERING | TADKA:
- 1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp Cumin/Jeera seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Channa dal
- 2 dry Red chillis
- 2-3 Green chillis, deseeded and slit length-wise
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 6-9 Curry leaves
How to make Pulihora | Tamarind Rice
- Start by first heating oil to a pan. When the oil heats up add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chillis, green chillis, curry leaves.
- Fry till curry leaves starts to change color.
- To this add tamarind pulp, salt and turmeric powder. Cook till the raw smell of tamarind disappears.
- Now add cooked rice and roasted peanuts. Gently give this a stir.
- Cook on a low flame for few 5-6 minutes covering with a lid.
- Allow it to cool down for 2-3 hours to get flavours absorbed by the rice.
- Last but not least add your ‘love’ to make the dish ‘YUMMY’.
*NOTE: Always remember, when you are making Pulihora, cook rice such that every grain should be separate (should not be sticky). After cooking rice, spread it to cool at room temperature.