I was watching Chakle India (Kachae Raastae) it was the time, when the show was first started on NDTV Good Times. I was in my second trimester and the craving for white foods was very high. I use to gobble doodh pedas and rasgullas like anything. It was in one of those shows I saw Aditya Bal cooking this Ghee Rice and my craving to have that rice had increased by 10 times at that point. At the same time Valarmathi called me enquiring what I was doing?….I told her, that I am watching a show on NDTV and drooling over Ghee Rice and told her I had never had ghee rice before and feeling strange that my taste buds are craving for it…I can hear her giggle and we ended the conversation.
I stretched my legs on sofa to give my back a comfortable rest and started flipping through a magazine lying over there. After 15 minutes, I heard bell and when I peeked through the peephole, I saw Valar standing with a dish on a tray in her hands. With a million dollar grin, I opened the door and welcomed her in. When I lifted the lid of the dish, the aroma of ghee rice made me feel so good…that without any delay I bought two plates and we gobbled the rice in no time…I am always truly blessed to have friends like Valarmathi in my life. Whenever I prepare this ghee rice…I think of those days Valar and miss our fun filled days….
Ghee rice is very simple to make and tastes best when served hot. I find Ghee rice an easy choice when I am making a spicy gravy based recipe like Chicken Khorma or Mirchi ka Salan. The flavour of Basmati and the aroma of ghee (clarified butter) with a whiff of much loved Indian spices…enriches the taste of this recipe…..
- 1 cup Basmati, washed and soaked for 15 minutes
- 1 small Onion, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp. Ghee
- 2 Cloves
- ½ tbsp. Black Peppercorns
- 2 green Cardamoms
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 2’inch piece Cinnamon
- pinch of Sugar
- Salt as per taste
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel, add ghee. To this add in sliced onions along with cloves, black peppercorns, cardamoms and bay leaf.
- Fry till onions turn light brown. Add in sugar and stir in soaked basmati rice by draining water in which it was soaked. Stir gently.
- Add 2½ cups of water and stir in salt. Bring this to boil and reduce the flame to low. Cook covered until rice is completely cooked.
- Remove the lid and fluff rice using a fork. Serve hot with any gravy of your choice.
- I served this fragrant ghee rice with Mirchi ka Salan and Chicken Sukka.
- Add love to make this ghee rice taste ‘Yummy’.
You can even add ghee fried cashew nuts on top as garnish. I sometimes, sprinkle a pinch of garam masala before fluffing the rice.