Popular Indo-Chinese Manchow Soup is comforting and warning. This nutritious and wholesome soup calls for lots of chopped vegetables, few sauces and flavorsome chilli oil. Manchow soup is perfect for any season and will fit easily in light meal or dinner category.
Cooking From Picky Eaters
I love to try and taste different varieties of soups. Whenever we eat out, I like to try a different soup every time. If I like it, I google for the recipe and make it at home. I always wanted to try manchow soup, but long list of ingredients and sauces scared me. All thanks to Rakee’s Picky Eaters book, this soup have become regular in our house. Chef Rakhee’s recipe of manchow soup, which I am sharing with you today is quite simple and easy.
Manchow Soup Ingredients:
Vegetables: Mainly carrots, cabbage, green beans, broccoli, baby corn and green capsicum are used in making this soup. Choice of vegetables is purely yours. Skip adding starchy potatoes, beets and turnips to keep this soup light and low in calorie.
Soya Sauce: Soya sauce is the main flavouring agent in any Indo-Chinese recipe. Soya Sauce brightens and adds flavour in this soup.
Chili Oil: This is completely optional but brings warmth and unique flavour in this soup.
Ginger & Garlic: These are flavour boosters. Finely chopped (minced) ginger and garlic will not only bring great taste in the soup, but they also add flavour.
Vegetable Stock: Thin vegetable stock is used in making this soup. Here is a quick recipe on how to make vegetable stock.
Boil one litre of water by adding carrots, celery, onions, bay leaf and pepper corns. Boil for 5 minutes. Simmer this for 15 minutes. Strain and use. Once the stock reaches the room temperature, pour this in a moisture free jar and refrigerate. Stays fresh for 10 days.
Spring Onion: Though spring onion is used as garnish in this soup, the subtle flavour of spring onion enhances the taste of this soup.
Cornflour: In any soup, cornflour is used to thicken the soup. If you want the soup to be thin, then skip adding cornflour.
Garnishing and Variations:
- In restaurants, Manchow Soup Veg is mostly served by adding fried noodles on top.
- Some restaurants also add boiled noodles to this soup.
- You can air-fry the noodles and add on top of the soup.
- If you are adding fried noodles, then add them just before serving. Otherwise, noodles will absorb the soup and turn soggy.
- I have kept the garnish simple by adding finely spring onion and carrot.
- I have used homemade vegetable stock; you can use vegetable stock cubes too.
- Talking about variations, you can add mushroom or boiled and shredded chicken to this soup.
- If chili oil is not available, you can use sesame oil or sunflower seed oil.
- If adding chicken, then try adding chicken stock to double the flavour of chicken manchow soup.
More Soup Recipes,
Veg Manchow Soup is,
- Easy to make
- Less Calories
- Perfect for any weather
- Warm and Spicy
- Light Meal
Are soups seasonal?
Do you think soups are seasonal? I think yes! I love cold soups mostly made with cucumber, beets, yogurt, etc; during summers and warm and spicy soups during winters. But there is an exception for few soups like chicken and oats soup, chickpea soup, lamb shorba (lamb bone soup), etc;. What do you think? Leave your opinion in comments below the post.
- ½ cup shredded Cabbage
- 2 tbsp. minced Carrot
- 1 tbsp. minced green Capsicum
- 2 tbsp. minced Tomato
- ½ tbsp. finely minced Ginger
- ½ tbsp. finely minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp. dark Soy sauce
- Salt as per taste
- Pepper as per taste
- 2 tbsp. Chili oil
- 3 tbsp. Cornflour
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock
Prepare Cornflour Slurry:
- Take cornflour in a small bowl and add half cup of water.
- Whisk until there are no lumps.
- Cornflour slurry should be medium thick, like sauce. This is used to thicken the soup.
- If you want to keep the soup light, then skip adding this cornflour slurry.
How to make Spicy Veg Manchow Soup
Add oil to a wok and when it heats up add minced ginger and garlic. Sauté for a minute.
Now add finely chopped vegetables. Toss and stir for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
Add soya sauce and saute for another minute. To this now add vegetable stock.
When the soup starts to boil add pepper powder and salt.
Let this boil for 2-3 minutes and when the soup reaches rolling boil, stir and slowly add cornflour slurry.
Stir until the soup reaches your desired level of consistency.
Turn off the flame and garish with minced carrot and spring onion.
Serve hot with grilled bread or mommos.
Add love to make this manchow soup taste ‘Yummy’.
Lubna’s Serving Suggestions:
Hot and Spicy Manchow Soup tastes best when served with grilled bread or mommos.
You can serve this with spicy hakka noodles or manchurian too.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 82Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 923mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g