From last few weeks my Instagram Feed is loaded with pictures of Kurkuri Bhindi. As bhindi/okra/lady’s finger is my family favourite vegetable, I thought of giving this recipe a try. Kurkuri Bhindi, as the name says, is a crisp and spicy fried bhindi recipe often served as side dish to go along wit h dal-chawal or can be served as snack with evening tea/coffee.
Kurkuri Bhindi is much loved and very popular North Indian recipe which calls for very few handy ingredients and can be made in less than 15 minutes. Kurkuri Bhindi is instant recipe and need to be fried just before serving. Choose even sized, fresh and tender bhindi to make this recipe. Try to cut the strips evenly. The thin strips of bhindi, the crisp the bhindi will turn out upon frying. Do try this simple, spicy and crispy kurkuri bhindi recipe today…..
Don’t forget to try these delicious Bhindi Recipes
Kurkuri Bhindi – Crisp Fried Okra
- 300 gms. Bhindi/Okra
- 2 tbsp. Rice flour
- 3 tbsp. Chickpea flour (Besan)
- ¾ tbsp. Red chili powder
- ¼ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp. Cumin powder
- ½ tbsp. Chat Masala
- Salt, as per taste
- Oil for deep-frying
- Wash and soak bhindi/okra in water for 10 minutes. Rinse and drain the water. Place the bhindi on a kitchen tissue or towel and wipe dry.
- Trim the ends of the bhindi and slit them vertically into 4 pieces. Tap gently to remove seeds. (Remove as many as possible)
- Take vertically slit bhindi pieces in a bowl and top them with chickpea flour, rice flour, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and salt.
- Toss gently and leave this to rest for 10-12 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat oil for deep frying (I used ¾ cup of oil and fried bhindi in batches). Once the oil is hot enough, drop a piece of bhindi and if it sizzles and reaches the top, then the oil is hot enough to fry.
- Fry marinated bhindi in batches (I fried in 3 batches) by turning regularly until they bhindi turns crisp and brown on all sides.
- Remove on plate lined with kitchen tissue and continue frying till you complete all the marinated bhindi.
- Toss the bhindi with chat masala and serve hot with rice and dal. If you are serving this kurkuri bhindi as snack, sprinkle 1 tbsp. of fresh squeezed lemon juice.
- Add love to make this kurkuri bhindi taste ‘Yummy’.