Kurkuri Bhindi or Bhindi Kurkuri is a spicy and delicious appetizer or side dish recipe. This crispy okra fry is easy to make, vegan and gluten-free. Just a few handy ingredients, is all you need to make this crispy bhindi fry.
About This Recipe
Kurkuri means crispy. Bhindi is Hindi name for Okra (Lady’s Finger). We start by cutting okra in thin and long strips. Take them into a bowl, add chickpea flour (besan), spices and salt. Toss well and deep fry until crisp.
Kurkuri Bhindi is a quick, easy and spicy recipe. Serve this as an appetizer or as a side dish with dal-chawal.
Tastes best with evening chai or coffee too.
Love Bhindi?? Then check out these yummy bhindi recipes,
Main Ingredients To Make Kurkuri Bhindi Recipe
Bhindi | Okra – Always choose same in length, long and slender okra. This will help in even cutting and cooking of okra. The freshness of okra depends on the color and firmness. Try to bend the tip of the okra with your thumb, if it snaps then it is fresh. If the tip bends then the okra is not fresh. I prefer hand picking okra from a local vegetable shop.
Besan | Chickpea Flour – Adding besan will do two things. First, it makes the okra slices crisp upon frying. Second, besan will absorb the moisture and sliminess present in the okra. You can use corn flour too, but chickpea flour brings good taste.
Rice Flour – Adding rice flour is purely optional. Rice flour makes kurkuri bhindi airy and crispy.
Chaat Masala – Brings in slightly tangy taste. Adds flavour and aroma to the recipe.
Other Spices – Red chili Powder, Turmeric Powder and Roasted Cumin Powder.
Normally, we make kurkuri bhindi recipe by deep frying bhindi. But you can make this in oven and in air-fryer too.
Baked Kurkuri Bhindi Recipe
For making baked kurkuri bhindi,
- Pre-heat the oven and line the baking tray with parchment or grease with oil.
- Toss thin slices of bhindi in all the spices and flours. Add salt and arrange them in a single layer on the baking tray.
- Spray or brush oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes on 1800C.
- Keep turning for every 5-6 minutes to ensure even baking.
- Once bhindi turn crisp and golden, remove from oven and leave for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Air-Fryer Kurkuri Bhindi Recipe
- Pre-heat air-fryer for five minutes on 1800C.
- Spray or brush the basket of air-fryer with oil. Line in the masala coated bhindi slices. Air-fry for 5-6 minutes.
- Keep turning for every 2 minutes, till bhindi turns nice crisp and golden on all sides.
- Remove and sprinkle lemon juice and chaat masala. Serve warm.
Tips To Make Perfect Kurkuri Bhindi
To make crispy and crunchy kurkuri bhindi, then follow these steps.
- Thoroughly wash bhindi and spread it on a kitchen towel.
- Wipe each bhindi with a clean and dry towel or tissue.
- Spread again on a kitchen towel for 10-15 minutes before cutting.
- Now remove the crown and tail part of the bhindi as shown in the picture above.
- Slit the bhindi (okra) vertically and cut into thin strips. Remove the pith and seeds.
- Add these thin strips to a bowl and add all masalas. Leave for 10-15 minutes and then fry or bake.
- 300 gms. Bhindi/Okra
- 2 tbsp. Rice flour
- 3 tbsp. Chickpea flour (Besan)
- ¾ tbsp. Red chili powder
- ¼ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp. roasted Cumin powder
- ½ tbsp. Chaat Masala
- Salt, as per taste
- Oil for deep-frying
How To Make Kurkuri Bhindi
- Wash and soak bhindi/okra in water for 10 minutes. Rinse and drain the water. Place the bhindi on a kitchen tissue or towel and wipe dry.
- Trim the ends of the bhindi and slit them vertically into 4 pieces. Tap gently to remove seeds. (Remove as many as possible)
- Take vertically slit bhindi pieces in a bowl and top them with chickpea flour, rice flour, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and salt.
- Toss gently and leave this to rest for 10-12 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat oil for deep frying (I used ¾ cup of oil and fried bhindi in batches). Once the oil is hot enough, drop a piece of bhindi and if it sizzles and reaches the top, then the oil is hot enough to fry.
- Fry marinated bhindi in batches (I fried in 3 batches) by turning regularly until they bhindi turns crisp and brown on all sides.
- Remove on plate lined with kitchen tissue and continue frying till you complete all the marinated bhindi.
- Toss the bhindi with chat masala and serve hot with rice and dal. If you are serving this kurkuri bhindi as snack, sprinkle 1 tbsp. of fresh squeezed lemon juice.
- Add love to make this kurkuri bhindi taste ‘Yummy’.
Lubna's Serving Suggestions:
Serve kurkuri bhindi as,
a starter | appetizer
snack with evening tea or coffee
side dish with rice and dal.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 188Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 396mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 7gSugar: 5gProtein: 6g