Do you know setting curd or dahi at home is very simple and easy? Here is a detailed post on how to make curd at home. Follow these simple steps to get the thick, creamy and perfect homemade curd every time.
Curd | Dahi (Hindi) | Perugu (Telugu) | Thayir (Tamil) | Thayer (Malayalam) | Mosaru (Kannada) is an integral part of ‘South Indian’ food. Curd is served along with food during lunch or dinner or sometimes even in breakfasts. We use curd in many recipes, either in marinating or in cooking or as dip or drink. I remember my mom use to buy an extra packet of milk every alternate day only to set curd during summers, as the intake of curd is more during the season.
My mom use to mix 3-4 tbsp. of sugar in beaten curd and use to serve it along with roti’s and I remember how I and my lil sis use to gulp glasses of chilled buttermilk during summers. There is a unique sweetness in freshly set curd. So every morning when I boil milk, I take out a cup of milk separately and add curd (from previous batch, which acts as starter) and leave it to set. By afternoon lunch the curd will be ready to indulge. Remaining curd I leave it in fridge, as I am a fan of chilled curd.
Homemade curd is best and when you make your own curd at home, I bet for sure that you will say bye to store bought curd/yogurt. Making silky smooth curd at home is very simple and easy. Try out today….
- ½ lit. Milk
- 1 tbsp. Curd, lightly beaten
How to make Curd or Dahi at Home
- Bring milk to boil and leave it cool on room temperature.
- When the milk is still warm, not hot or not even lukewarm, then transfer this to a glass or porcelain bowl (see NOTES).
- Now add 1 tbsp. beaten curd to milk and gently stir with a spoon, to mix beaten curd andmilk properly.
- Loosely cover with a lid and leave it to set in a warm corner of the kitchen for nearly 6-7 hours.
- When the curd is set after 6-7 hours, then close the lid tightly and leave it in fridge to chill for 1-2 hours or serve it or use it in any dish which asks for curd.
Nutritional Benefits of Curd
- Curd has zero carbs and no sugars.
- Curd carries zero trans fats.
- A spoonful of curd can heal nausea and vomit sensation.
- Curd has high calcium content along with proteins.
- This has more Vitamin B complex than milk.
- Curd has high amount of phosphorus, which works with calcium and helps in bone strength.
- Curd mixed with sugar or jaggery is an excellent thirst reliever. So this mixture is served before going out for exams or interview saying, this will bring ‘Good Luck’.
Tips to make Best Homemade Curd
Use Porcelain or Glass Container To Set Curd
- Using of metal bowl or container for setting curd, is not advisable only because the bacteria present in the curd may react with the metal and taste of curd can vary in comparison to glass bowl.
- Always use clean and dry glass or porcelain or ceramic bowl to set curd.
- I always prefer setting the curd in porcelain bowl. My grandma and mom always sets curd in porcelain bowl and they have a bowl, which they use only for setting curd.
- In some parts of India, curd is set in earthen pots and is said, the curd which is set in earthen pots taste divine.
Setting Curd during Summer
- The Bacteria Lactobacillus, which helps in forming curd, needs warm climate to set. So during summers, curd sets faster due to higher microbial division.
- Sometimes set curd may turn sour soon if it is left outside. Refrigerating the curd after setting may reduce the sourness in curd.
Setting Curd in Winter or Rainy Days
- Curd takes long time to set during winters or rainy days. Using thermos or insulated casserole can help in setting perfect curd during winters or in cold places.
- Or else you can wrap woolen towel around the container and store it in a warm place.
- Alternatively you can preheat oven at 1800 C for 3-4 minutes and leave the curd bowl to set in it by keeping the oven lights on for warmth for 8-9 hours.
RECIPES WITH CURD:
Listed below are 12 tantalizing recipes with curd, where curd is a main ingredient.
Fruit & Yogurt Parfait
Dahi Chawal ki Tikki
Cumin-Oats Flavoured Lassi
Chicken Dum Biryani
Dahi ki Chutney