South Indian summers are mostly celebrated with the arrival of mangoes. Though these days both raw and ripe mangoes hit the market together…we at home start by eating raw mangoes first. After the first shower of rain only, we will eat the ripe ones….and till date this is the custom we follow. Continuing this custom….let’s start with a curry which is mostly made during this season when the raw mangoes are available in abundant. Drumstick (Mungae ki Phalli/Sojni ki Phalli/Sahijan /Saragva/Mullakada) as it is called in different languages is much loved vegetable by Andhraites. Lot of variations are made using drumstick. This Drumstick Raw Mango Curry is my personal and family favourite. Upon cooking drumstick pieces soaks up the tanginess of raw mango and tastes extremely delicious. Do give this recipe a try…
Drumstick Raw Mango Curry
- 3 Drumsticks, peeled and cut into 3” inch long even pieces
- 1 Onion, finely sliced
- ½ medium sized Raw Mango, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 Green chilies cut into half
- 1 tbsp. Red chili powder
- ½ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- ¼ tbsp. Coriander powder
- Salt, as per taste
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel, add oil and fry onions till translucent. Now add drumstick pieces, green chili, red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Stir till spice powders coat the drumstick pieces evenly. Add 1½ cups of water and close the lid. Cook on low flame till drumstick pieces turn soft.
- Now add cubed raw mango pieces and stir to combine. If the water is dried up in the curry, then add ½ cup of water. Check for salt and leave this to cook until raw mango pieces turn soft.
- Sprinkle coriander powder and turn off the flame. Serve hot with rice.
- Add love to make this curry taste ‘Yummy’.
Sometimes, I add dry coconut powder to this and you can find it @ Drumstick-Raw Mango in Coconut Gravy Curry.
Thanks for sharing, I’ll be sending the recipe to my sister to try it for me as I’m allergic to mangoes
Ma sha Allah… Nice recipe. Would love to try it. Great photos too. Thanks for sharing.
Farah Abdulah says
Finally subscribed here! I’m always looking for other South Indian recipes than the ones I know and what the hubby teaches me. He had already, so far, complimented my progress… I want to surprise him with all these goodness from my blogger sisters.
Muslim Mummy says
Oh this looks interesting! I love mango…will have to try this one
Love eating Mango in the summer! Yummy! Iv never heard of this dish looks delicious
I have to admit I’m not sure what drumsticks are! I’ve never heard of them – off to Google what they are – this sounds delicious!
I’m always on the look out for new marinades to try and this sounds like something I would enjoy. Thank you for the recipe.
Oh how absolutely delicious looking dish. Raw mangoe is something we Bengalis cook with too abd it really does change the whole game!.
wow its lovly