Iftar at my Mom’s House:
DAHI VADA (VADE | WADA | WADE)
- 1 cup Urad dal, washed and soaked in water for 5hrs.
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Green chili, chopped
- Oil for frying
FOR YOGURT SAUCE:
- 4 cups thick Yogurt/Dahi
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 2 Green chili, chopped
- 3-4 tbsp. Coriander leaves, minced
- 1 cup Boondi
How to make Perfect Dahi Vada Step by Step:
- Drain off the water from urad dal and grind to paste. Add salt, sliced onions and green chili, mix well and leave it for ½ hour.
- Pour enough oil in a kadai or heavy bottom cooking vessel for deep frying. Slowly heat up the oil, when the oil turns piping hot, reduce the flame to medium heat.
- Wet your hands with oil or water and take a lemon sized ball from the batter and flatten it on a greased plastic sheet or plantain leaf to form a circle, put a hole on the centre with your finger.
- Slowly and carefully drop it into the hot oil and fry on both the sides on a medium flame, till the vada is nice golden in color.
- Once the vada’s are completely cooked take them out onto a bowl of water. Leave them for 3-4 minutes.
Assembling Dahi Vada:
- In the mean time, whisk yogurt and add sliced onion, chopped green chili, minced coriander leaves and salt. Mix well and set aside. This is our yogurt sauce.
- Now drain off the excess water from the vadas by gently squeezing them.
- Before serving, place vadas on a serving plate and top it with above made yogurt sauce and boondi.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Add love to make this recipe taste ‘YUMMY’.
These Vada’s are going to participate in MLLA – 61 edition hosted by Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen . MLLA was started by Susan the Well-Seasoned Cook and being carried forward now by Lisa of Lisa’s Kitchen.
Points to remember:
- You can even garnish ‘Dahi Vada’ with grated carrots.
- Always remember to soak urad dal ffor 5-8 hours before making this vada’s. This will make the vadas turn soft.
- Always drain the water in which urad dal is soaked. The consistency of the batter should be thick to hold shape.