What is Kabsa?
Spices in Kabsa:
Chicken Kabsa Recipe
Arabic Chicken Kabsa is a golden rice dish that's absolutely delicious. Made with chicken, rice and special spices, this one pot meal is crowd pleaser. The flavour and aroma of chicken kabsa is simply amazing.
INGREDIENTS FOR BHARAT SPICE MIX:
- 1 tbsp. black Pepper powder
- 1 tbsp. Coriander powder
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp. ground Cloves
- ½ tsp. ground Cardamom
- 1 tsp. ground Nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. Paprika
INGREDIENTS FOR BROTH:
- 1 small Chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. Baharat spice mix
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 6 cups Water
INGREDIENTS FOR RICE:
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- 1 small Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large Cinnamon stick
- 4-5 Cardamom pods
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp. Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp. Baharat spice mix
- 1 tsp. Red chili powder (or cayenne pepper)
- 1 Green chili, cut in half
- 4 cups of the saved Chicken broth
- 2 tsp. Salt, or to taste
- ½ cup Raisins, soaked for 15 min
- ½ cup sliced Almonds
- 2 tbsp. minced Coriander leaves
First start by making chicken broth,
How To Make Chicken Broth For Kabsa
- Place all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover with lid, reduce heat to medium low, and cook for about 45-50 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken pieces and strain the chicken broth into a clean bowl.
- Keep the chicken broth for the rice. Shred the chicken and save for the end.
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned under 'Bharat Spice Mix' and set aside.
How To Make Arabic Chicken Kabsa Recipe
- Rinse the rice and soak in water for 15 minutes. In a large pot, heat up oil and add onions.
- Stir fry until golden brown. Add the tomatoes, cardamom, cinnamon stick, turmeric, chili powder, and Baharat spice mix. Cover with lid, with heat on low.
- Cook for 5 min, or until tomatoes are softened. Add the green chili and the chicken broth.
- Add the salt to taste. Bring to a boil and add the drained soaked rice.
- Cover the pot partially on medium heat until most of the water is evaporated, you'll see little holes in the rice.
- Cover completely, put the heat on low and cook for 10 minutes, or until all the water is evaporated.
- Turn heat off and keep lid on for 10 minutes before fluffing the rice.
- Fry the soaked raisins and the sliced almonds in some oil for 1-2 minutes.
- To serve, dish the rice onto a platter, top with shredded chicken, raisins, and almonds.
- Top with chopped cilantro for garnish. Enjoy!
Lubna's Serving Suggestions:
Generally chicken kabsa is served with a fresh mixed tomato, cucumber, carrot and lettuce salad. You can serve this with kachumber and onion raita.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 452Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 2584mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 7gSugar: 17gProtein: 15g
Thank you Rubina for being part of this event and introducing this flavoursome recipe to the readers.
You can find Rubina @ Facebook|Instagram|Pinterest
2015 – Joy From Fasting To Feasting – VIII – Fig and Dates Milkshake by Farrukh
2014 – Joy From Fasting To Feasting – VII – Shorba Frik from Asmaa
2013 – Joy From Fasting To Feasting – VI – Piyaju from Lail
I was looking for a Kabsa dish to make because I teach a lot of Saudi students esl. I decided to make it since they always talk about their ‘national’ dish.
My family and I enjoyed this dish so much. Thank you for having such a delicious recipie. My only advice, if you have little kids who aren’t used to the red chili powder or the green chilies is to omit them all together or add less than 1/4 of red chili powder. Or just serve with cucumber and yogurt to cool it down for their little tongues. But overall this dish is wonderful!
Beautiful dish! We’ve made this recipe a few times and every time I’ve made it I fall more and more in love with it (which I didn’t think was possible).