What is Kabsa?
Spices in Kabsa:
- 1 tbsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 small chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Baharat spice mix
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 6 cups water
How to make Chicken Broth
- Place all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover with lid, reduce heat to medium low, and cook for about 45-50 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken pieces and strain the chicken broth into a clean bowl.
- Keep the chicken broth for the rice. Shred the chicken and save for the end.
Ingredients for Rice:
- 2 cups rice (Basmati)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4-5 cardamom pods
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Baharat spice mix
- 1 tsp red chili powder (or cayenne pepper)
- 1 green chili, cut in half
- 4 cups of the saved chicken broth
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup raisins, soaked for 15 min
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
How to make Chicken Kabsa
- Rinse the rice and soak in water for 15 minutes. In a large pot, heat up oil and add onions.
- Stir fry until golden brown. Add the tomatoes, cardamom, cinnamon stick, turmeric, chile powder, and Baharat spice mix. Cover with lid, with heat on low.
- Cook for 5 min, or until tomatoes are softened. Add the green chile and the chicken broth.
- Add the salt to taste. Bring to a boil and add the drained soaked rice.
- Cover the pot partially on medium heat until most of the water is evaporated, you’ll see little holes in the rice.
- Cover completely, put the heat on low and cook for 10 minutes, or until all the water is evaporated. Turn heat off and keep lid on for 10 minutes before fluffing the rice.
- Fry the soaked raisins and the sliced almonds in some oil for 1-2 minutes.
- To serve, dish the rice onto a platter, top with shredded chicken, raisins, and almonds.
- Top with chopped cilantro for garnish. Enjoy!
Thank you Rubina for being part of this event and introducing this flavoursome recipe to the readers.
You can find Rubina @ Facebook|Instagram|Pinterest
2015 – Joy From Fasting To Feasting – VIII – Fig and Dates Milkshake by Farrukh
2014 – Joy From Fasting To Feasting – VII – Shorba Frik from Asmaa
2013 – Joy From Fasting To Feasting – VI – Piyaju from Lail