What is Kabsa?
Spices in Kabsa:
INGREDIENTS FOR BHARAT SPICE MIX:
- 1 tbsp. black Pepper powder
- 1 tbsp. Coriander powder
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp. ground Cloves
- ½ tsp. ground Cardamom
- 1 tsp. ground Nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. Paprika
INGREDIENTS FOR BROTH:
- 1 small Chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. Baharat spice mix
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 6 cups Water
INGREDIENTS FOR RICE:
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- 1 small Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large Cinnamon stick
- 4-5 Cardamom pods
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp. Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp. Baharat spice mix
- 1 tsp. Red chili powder (or cayenne pepper)
- 1 Green chili, cut in half
- 4 cups of the saved Chicken broth
- 2 tsp. Salt, or to taste
- ½ cup Raisins, soaked for 15 min
- ½ cup sliced Almonds
- 2 tbsp. minced Coriander leaves
First start by making chicken broth,
How To Make Chicken Broth For Kabsa
- Place all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover with lid, reduce heat to medium low, and cook for about 45-50 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken pieces and strain the chicken broth into a clean bowl.
- Keep the chicken broth for the rice. Shred the chicken and save for the end.
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned under 'Bharat Spice Mix' and set aside.
How To Make Arabic Chicken Kabsa Recipe
- Rinse the rice and soak in water for 15 minutes. In a large pot, heat up oil and add onions.
- Stir fry until golden brown. Add the tomatoes, cardamom, cinnamon stick, turmeric, chili powder, and Baharat spice mix. Cover with lid, with heat on low.
- Cook for 5 min, or until tomatoes are softened. Add the green chili and the chicken broth.
- Add the salt to taste. Bring to a boil and add the drained soaked rice.
- Cover the pot partially on medium heat until most of the water is evaporated, you'll see little holes in the rice.
- Cover completely, put the heat on low and cook for 10 minutes, or until all the water is evaporated.
- Turn heat off and keep lid on for 10 minutes before fluffing the rice.
- Fry the soaked raisins and the sliced almonds in some oil for 1-2 minutes.
- To serve, dish the rice onto a platter, top with shredded chicken, raisins, and almonds.
- Top with chopped cilantro for garnish. Enjoy!
Lubna's Serving Suggestions:
Generally chicken kabsa is served with a fresh mixed tomato, cucumber, carrot and lettuce salad. You can serve this with kachumber and onion raita.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 452Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 2584mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 7gSugar: 17gProtein: 15g
Thank you Rubina for being part of this event and introducing this flavoursome recipe to the readers.
You can find Rubina @ Facebook|Instagram|Pinterest
2015 – Joy From Fasting To Feasting – VIII – Fig and Dates Milkshake by Farrukh
2014 – Joy From Fasting To Feasting – VII – Shorba Frik from Asmaa
2013 – Joy From Fasting To Feasting – VI – Piyaju from Lail