Cabbage is popular for its versatility and strong flavor. Cabbage ranks right up there with broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts with a reputation for fighting cancer. It’s also a good source of vitamin C, fiber, potassium, and other nutrients. Cabbage also offers a major payoff — the fewest calories and least fat of any vegetable. It has been called: “poor man’s medicine chest” and “doctor of the poor”. Cabbage and chana dal is a unique combination. The thick flavour of cabbage when combines with pleasant tasting Chana dal or Bengal gram with little tadka gives the result an aromatic and yummy curry which goes hand in hand with piping hot rotis.
Cabbage and Chana Dal Curry
- 1/2 kg Cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Chana dal, washed and soaked in water (3-4 hrs)
- 1/2 tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 Green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tbsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin/Jeera
- 1 dry Red chilli
- 6-9 Curry leaves
- Pressure cook chana dal with a drop of oil and set aside.
- Pressure cook cabbage by adding turmeric powder and set aside.
- Heat oil in a cooking pan and add the ingredients listed under tempering.
- When the ingredients turn to change color add chopped onions and green chilies.
- Saute till onions turn translucent.
- Now add par boiled chana dal, salt, red chilli powder, ginger-garlic paste and pressure cooked cabbage. Stir well.
- Cook on a medium flame till all the water gets absorbed or soaked up by the curry.
- Last but not least add your ‘love’ to make the dish ‘YUMMY’.