Wondering who is Rajitha? Rajitha is my friendly neighbor when I landed in Chennai but now a very good friend. We stay in the same apartment but on different floor’s. Most of the afternoons we sit together and chit chat while the kids play together. Last evening when I was reading Sudha Murthy’s Dollar Bahu and thinking what to make in for snacks. And somewhere down the corner of my heart silently wishing it would be great, if someone could make some chatpata chaat for me….
Continuous ring on mobile bought me back from the dream world. I picked it and said bolo Rajitha, she inquired what I was doing??? I said reading a book. Then she asked me to come to her place as she was making some special snack and she said, you will love it. She said to bring my camera too. Since the day she came to know that I am a food blogger…she never missed to check an update on my blog and when in leisure she always checks my blog posts and appreciates the work…..
Rajita’s Quest For Healthy Recipes
Soon, I went to her home hanging my camera around my neck and wondering what she is going to make. Upon asking she said, I am going to make an easy Aloo Chana Chaat | Potato Chickpeas Chaat…Wow…what a day….I told her I was just wishing someone could make a hot chaat for me and you are their making it for me. This must be my moment…where my wish has been granted in just few minutes. Being mom of a pre-schooler girl and naughty toddler boy…..Rajitha is always busy. Most of the time she looks out for healthy and easy recipes to meet her family needs. Snack time is most loved time of the day at her home too. To make this snack time more interesting she looks out for recipes which are kid friendly, easy and healthy. In the same process she landed making this recipe since the day she came to know her kids love chana a lot….So here is a chaat recipe which is simple in making and yum in indulging……moreover kid friendly too….
Do you like potatoes and looking out for some interesting and easy recipes with it, then do check out 15+ Delicious Potato Recipes on Yummy Food.
Aloo Chana Chaat
- 2 cups Chana | Chickpeas,
- washed and soaked in water for 8-9 hours or overnight
- 2-3 medium sized Potatoes, peeled and boiled until soft
- 2 Tomatoes, pureed
- 1 Onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp. Red chili powder
- ¾ tbsp. Coriander powder
- 1½ tbsp. Chat Masala
- 3-4 tbsp. fresh minced Coriander leaves
- 2-3 Lemon wedges
How to make Aloo Chana Chaat Step by Step Recipe
- Discard the water in which chickpeas are soaking. Add chickpeas and enough fresh water to pressure cooker. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles or until soft not mushy.
- Once chickpeas are soft, drain excess water from chickpeas using colander. Take ¼ of the quantity of chickpeas and grind to smooth paste.
- Now take boiled potatoes and mash them using potato masher or hand. Set aside.
- Now add oil to heavy bottom cooking vessel and when it heats up add tomato puree. Fry till raw smell disappears.
- In this add mashed potato and give the mixture a good stir.
- Now add boiled chickpeas and mix well.
- Add water and add fine ground paste of chickpeas, this will give the chaat very good taste.
- Now add salt, red chili powder, coriander powder and chat masala.
- Cook covered for 2-3 minutes. Add fresh minced coriander leaves and serve hot garnishing with sliced onions and lemon wedges.
- You can also garnish with fine sev and pomegranate seeds.
- Add love to make this aloo chana chaat taste ‘Yummy’.