Andhra Style Potato Fry is quick, easy and simply delicious stir-fry recipe. Tastes best when served with hot bowl of rice and sambar or rasam. Made in just 15 minutes, with just 5 main ingredients, this potato fry is a keeper.
About This Recipe
I love potatoes. The good thing about potatoes is, these pair up well with other vegetables and meat based recipes. I can’t think of my pantry without this humble vegetable. When I run out of ideas to cook, potato is always at my rescue. Though there are many ways to cook this starchy vegetable, my family favourite is this Quick and Easy Andhra Style Potato Fry recipe.
Like sambar and rasam recipes vary from family to family, you can find many simple recipes to make this potato fry too. The recipe of potato fry, which I am sharing with you is flavoursome. I add coarsely ground red chili powder and garlic cloves (lehsun mirchi | ulli karam) to potato fry. This brings nice aroma and taste in fry.
Tips & Main Ingredients To Make Potato Fry
Potatoes – The cooking time of potatoes totally depend on the size of the potato pieces. Small cubes or dices of potato pieces take less time to cook. Generally, for stir-frying potatoes, the pieces are either cut small or flat.
Soaking potato pieces in water for at least 15-20 minutes, helps in removing the starch. After peeling, cutting and washing the potatoes, soak them in water with a pinch of salt. This will help in removing the starch from potatoes.
Red Chili Powder & Garlic Cloves – Coarsely ground red chili powder and garlic cloves bring nice taste, spice, aroma and flavour in the potato stir-fry.
Curry Leaves – Bring aroma and flavour in fry.
Cumin Seeds – Adds taste to the recipe.
Must-Try Potato Recipes
Aloo Dum Biryani – Perfect lunch box or weeknight one pot meal recipe.
Minty Potatoes – This is a classic potato gravy based side dish recipe.
Potato Masala – A thin gravy-based side dish served with poori and roti.
Potato Stuffed Bread Rolls – A delicious snack to serve along with evening tea or coffee.
Tandoori Aloo – Pan fried tandoori aloo is spicy and easy to make appetizer.
Tomato Potato Curry – Delicious medley of tangy tomatoes and starchy potatoes.
One Recipe, Different Names
As they are many different ways of making this recipe, they are different names too. Here are few of them,
Bangala Dumppa Vepudu – Potatoes are called Bangala dumppa in Telugu. Vepudu means stir-fry.
Aloo Gadda Fry – You here this name for potato fry in Telangana region.
Aloo Fry – Potato is called aloo (alu) in Hindi and hence, the name aloo fry.
- 4 medium Potatoes
- 1 ½ tbsp. Red chili powder
- 3 cloves Garlic
- ¼ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- ½ tbsp. Mustard seeds
- ½ tbsp. Cumin/Jeera
- 2 dry Red chilies
- 6 Curry leaves
How To Make Easy Potato Fry Recipe
- Thoroughly wash and soak the potato pieces in enough water for 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the water and spread them on kitchen towel/tissue to remove excess moisture.
- Add oil to pan and when it heats up add mustard seeds, cumin, dry red chillies. Stir till they start to splutter.
- Now add curry leaves and when they start to turn crisp, add potato pieces, turmeric powder and salt.
- Give this a gentle stir and cook covered for 8-10 minutes on low flame.
- Stir in between to avoid sticking to the pan.
- In a mortar and pestle add garlic cloves and red chili powder and make a coarse paste. Set this aside.
- Once the potato turn soft, add red chili powder-garlic paste and on high flame, give a gently stir, till all the ingredients are nicely mixed.
- Turn off the flame and cover with lid for 5 minutes. Serve warm with rice and dal.
- Add love to make this easy potato fry taste 'Yummy'.
Lubna's Serving Suggestions:
- Potato Fry tastes best when served with piping hot rice, ghee, sambar or rasam.
- This Andhra Style Potato Fry also tastes good when served with roti or phulka.
- You can even use this in making filling for sandwiches.
- This aloo fry also tastes yum when served with curd rice.
- Potato Fry can be served with any chutney along with rice. Kairi Tamatar ki chuntey with hot rice and ghee tastes droolsome with potato fry.
Any Day Comfort Food:
Hot bowl of steamed rice + Ghee + Potato Fry + Andhra Mango Pickle + Tomato Dal + Papad + Curd Rice