One pot meals are my favorite and I always look forward to try out new dishes which fall under this category. These days it is not usual that I stand in kitchen to cook full length meals….all thanks to my mom…who whizz up every meal with ease. Today she was very busy since morning stitching up a new dress for lil’M…to help her out, I said I will be making lunch. She said, no problem, I already had planned what to cook in lunch…that’s my mom who plans things in advance….wish I got that quality from her….
I said please allow me to cook as I have been thinking of making aloo dum biryani, potato pilaf from long. Then mom said ok, carry on. Throwing off my laziness, I started preparations for this flavorsome rice recipe. If I add carrots, beans, peas and cauliflower…my lil’M and lttle sis will have great time in picking out these vegetables from rice. So, I thought of skipping all and made a simple one-pot meal only with potatoes….
Potato Pilaf | Aloo Biryani
Potato Pilaf is a ravishing one-pot meal, which also makes a good lunch box recipe or a weekend brunch or a perfect winter night dinner. If you are in a mood and have got a family who loves more veggies then you can include carrots, peas, cauliflower and beans. You don’t need any other side dish to go with this….as this is a complete filling rice recipe in itself… Try aloo dum biryani over….
ALOO DUM BIRYANI
FOR POTATO LAYER:
- 2 big Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 2 small Tomatoes, sliced
- 1 Clove + 1 2′ inch Cinnamon
- 1½ tbsp. Red chili powder
- ½ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- 2 green chili, slit length wise
- 3 tbsp. thick Curd/Yogurt, whisked
- 1 tbsp. Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp. Ginger-Garlic Paste
FOR RICE LAYER:
- 2 cups Basmati Rice, washed and soaked in water for 30 min.
- 2 Cloves, 2 Cardamoms & 2 1’inch piece of Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. Ginger-Garlic paste
- 2 tbsp. Coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Lemon juice
- ½ tbsp. Garam Masala
- Pinch Saffron mixed in 2 tbsp. lukewarm milk
- 2 tbsp. fried Onions, refer *NOTES below
- 2 tbsp. Ghee
How to make Aloo Dum Biryani Step by Step
FOR POTATO LAYER:
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel, add oil along with clove and cinnamon. To this add sliced onions and fry till onions turn translucent. Now add ginger-garlic paste and fry till raw smell wafts (nearly 1 minute).
- To this add potato pieces, red chili powder, turmeric powder and garam masala. Fry for a minute and add ½ cup of water.
- Cook till potato pieces turn soft (not mushy). Now add whisked curd and cook on low till gravy thickens.
FOR RICE LAYER:
- Add cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, salt, ginger-garlic paste to water and to this add rice. Bring this to boil and then lower the flame. Cook rice till it is 90% done.
- Press a grain between your forefinger and thumb, if it is soft, drain the water using a sieve.
- Now start to layer.
LAYERING ALOO DUM BIRYANI
- Once you drain off the water then start to layer, by adding ghee to the bottom of a heavy cooking vessel (the one we use to cook rice). Add a layer of rice and spread evenly.
- Now add potato layer on the rice layer and spread evenly. Add half of fried onions, chopped coriander leaves, one tbsp. lemon juice, garam masala and 1 tbsp. of saffron milk.
- Cover with another layer of rice and add remaining fried onions, chopped coriander leaves, 1 tbsp. lemon juice, garam masala and 1 tbsp. of saffron milk. Now add 1 tbsp. of ghee and leave the vessel on low flame by
sealing the edges of vessel and lid with aluminium foil.
- I keep nearly ½ kilo weight (my brass pestle and motor) on top of the lid to seal the aroma of biryani.
- Leave it on low flame for nearly 15-20 minutes. When you sprinkle 1 tbsp. of water on cooking vessel it has to sizzle. Turn off the flame and let it sit on stove for another 10-15 minutes before you start to serve.
- Add love to make this recipe taste ‘Yummy’.
- Slowly remove the foil and open the lid. Very gently , using a spoon mix the rice. Garnish with fresh minced coriander leaves or fried onions. I served this biryani with onion raita.
BIRISTA | FRIED ONIONS:
- In a kadai or heavy bottom cooking vessel, add 5-6 tbsp. ghee and fry finely sliced onions.
- Fry till crisp and nice brown. (Be careful, fry on low flame, stirring frequently). Now carefully using a slotted spatula separate fried onion slices from ghee. Collect ghee in a cup and set aside.
- I used the same the ghee in layering, which gives nice aroma and imparts good taste to the recipe.