What is Lobia called in English?
Lobia are called black-eyed peas or black-eyed beans in English. These hidden gems belong to legume family.
Is Lobia good for health?
These soluble fibre rich lobia helps in controlling,
helps in maintaining weight,
good for heart.
So, these are one of the most loved beans and mostly used in different recipes across South India.
Some of the famous recipes using Lobia are,
North Indian Style Lobia Recipe is made by cooking boiled lobia in spicy onion-tomato masala. This is a quite simple gravy made with very minimal Indian spices. You can easily serve this with roti or paratha. Even tastes best when served with jeera rice.
Punjabi Lobia Masala Recipe
Ingredients – Notes & Substitution
Lobia: Soaking lobia for at least 6-7 hours, turns them soft upon cooking. You can even use red lobia to make this recipe.
Onion-Tomato: The basic gravy for most of the Indian curry recipes is onion-tomato. This recipe of lobia masala is simple and is made with a simple onion-tomato gravy.
Garam Masala: Simple garam masala, made by powdering cardamom, cinnamon and cloves are used in making this gravy.
Milk: To give creamy and smooth texture to the recipe, I used milk. You can use cream or white butter.
Can I make this vegan?
- 1 cup Lobia, soaked for 6-7 hours
- 1 Onion, finely sliced
- 2 medium Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. Ginger juliennes
- 1 Green Chilli, slit length wise
- ½ tbsp. Garam Masala
- 3 Cloves
- 1 1’inch stick Cinnamon
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ tbsp. Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp. Red chili powder
- ½ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. roasted Coriander powder
- ½ tbsp. roasted Cumin powder
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 tbsp. fresh Cream
How to make Punjabi Lobia Masala Curry
- Wash and soak lobia overnight or for at least 6-7 hours. Drain the
water and set aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and
cardamom. When the spices start to release the aroma, add cumin seeds.
- When these starts to splutter, add ginger juliennes and fry for 30
- Now add sliced onions and fry till translucent. Next add finely
chopped tomatoes and green chilli.
- Fry till tomatoes turn soft and mushy. Now add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, roasted coriander powder and roasted cumin powder.
- Fry for another one minute by giving the mixture nice stir.
- Now add drained lobia and mix well. Add 1½ glass of water and salt.
Pressure cook of 4-5 whistles.
- Turn off and wait till steam escapes. Take the lid off and check whether the lobia is soft or not (When pressed with fingers it
should be soft and should get easily mashed).
- Now add milk and check for salt. Cook on low flame for another
minute by giving the mixture gentle stir. Turn off the flame and add fresh cream.
- Serve warm with roti or phulka or paratha.
- Add your 'love' to make this Punjabi Lobia Masala taste 'YUMMY'.
Lubna's Serving Suggestion:
Punjabi style lobia masala curry can be served with roti, phulka, rumali, besan ka chila, appam, jeera rice, tomato rice, etc.