My love for one pot meals always make me try something new. This time when I was making Vegetable Pulao, I thought of giving it a lift by adding some beans. These days I am packing boiled beans salad (sundal) in Lil’M’s and her papa’s snack box more often and so I always have a box of beans ready to pop in any curry or rice. It is easy to store boiled beans like rajma, chana, double beans, etc. in freezer for 15-20 days. Check the notes below to know
Mixed Bean Veg Pulao recipe has got kidney beans, double beans and mixed vegetables. I call this as jewel pulao….as rajma and double beans along with diced mixed vegetables looks like jewels on flavoured rice. You can even pack this a protein rich wonderful one pot meal Mixed Bean Veg Pulao in lunch box. Do try this out today. I normally serve this with onion raita.
Mixed Beans Veg Pulao
- 1 cup Rice washed and soaked for 10 min.
- ¼ cup Rajma, washed and soaked overnight
- 1/8 cup Double beans, washed and soaked overnight
- ¼ cup diced mixed Vegetables
- (I used Potato, Carrot and French Beans)
- 2 Cloves, 2 Cardamom, 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1/8 tbsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 Onion, sliced finely
- 2 Green chilies, slit
- ½ tbsp. Ginger-Garlic paste
- ¼ tbsp. Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp. Lemon juice
- 2-3 sprigs Coriander leaves
- Pressure cook rajma and double beans with enough water untilsoft. (Take care not to turn them mushy). Wait till pressure settles. Drain excess water and set aside.
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel, add oil and to it add cloves, cardamom and cinnamon stick.
- When the spices start to leave their aroma, add sliced onions. Fry till translucent. Now add ginger-garlic paste. Fry for another minute and add boiled rajma and double beans. Saute for a minute or two.
- Now add diced mixed vegetables, green chilies, garam masala and turmeric powder. Saute for two minutes.
- Add 4 cups of water to this along with salt. Let it come to boil. Now add rice (by draining the water, in which rice was getting soaked). Gently stir and cook covered on low flame till rice is completely cooked.
- Sprinkle lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves before serving.
- Add love to make this rice taste ‘Yummy’.
How to Cook,Freeze and Use Dried Beans?
- Clean, rinse and soak beans in drinking water overnight or for at least 6-8 hours. Discard the water and add fresh drinking water enough to pressure cook. Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles or till soft. (I always pressure cook for 2 whistles and then wait till pressure settles and I will again cook the beans without lid until they turn soft by keeping the flame on low.
- By doing so I get perfectly cooked beans which are neither mushy nor firm. Drain the water completely and store in any air tight container or Tupperware box or ziplock bag in the freezer. They stay fresh for 15-20 days. Don’t forget to label them with name and date of packing. Thaw the desired portion in microwave or you can place the packet in warm water to use instantly.