Aam ka murabba, the name is enough to make you drool. Murabba is an Arabic word commonly refers to sweet and sour jams or pickles or preserve in many regions. Aam ka Murabba | Mango Murabba is generally made with firm green mangoes when they are in season. The sourness from the fresh green mangoes will be complimented with sugar and spices to get that medley of tangy, spicy and sweet flavours.
Some recipes I take as granted…..like Meetha Khana from my Grandmom, Thulli made by my mom , Aam ka Achar (Mango Pickle) from my MIL,….seriously I never think of asking them the recipe….as I think some recipes are bound to be made by that person only. Even though I try to make them at home, I will never get that 100% taste and satisfaction. This Aam ka Murabba too falls under that category. I tasted it few years back at aunt’s place and loved it to full. Seeing me gulping the murabba, she even packed some to take home with me.
Whenever the green mangoes are in season, I think of making this…but never attempted in making this murabba. But few days back, my friend who just returned from her hometown bought so many organic green mangoes…These green beauties are such a great sight….I quickly dialled aunty’s number and took recipe along with few tips on making this murabba. I really wonder to know how simple this awesome recipe is….
Made murabba as per aunt’s instructions….packed some and sent it to her…She called me in the morning to say…that when she served it to her family at snack time, they did not recognise the difference in taste. Her family thought the murabba is made by her only…Now that is much of an appreciation….isn’t it?? Thank you so much Aunty for giving me the recipe, tips and appreciation. This murabba is like our LIFE…..thoda khatta, thoda meeta aur thoda theeka….Little tangy, little sweet and little spicy….So when life gives you mangoes, make murabba.
Aam Ka Murabba | Mango Murabba
- 2 cups grated Green Mango
- 2 cups granulated Sugar
- ½ tbsp. Black Pepper powder
- ½ tbsp. roasted Cumin powder
- ¼ tbsp. Salt
- ½ tbsp. Cardamom powder
- few strands Saffron
How to make Aam ka Murabba
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel, add grated green mango and sugar.
- Cook on medium flame by stirring in between until the mixture is reduced to half.
- Now add black pepper powder, cardamom powder, salt and roasted cumin powder. Mix and stir in between.
- Scrape the sides of the vessel in between, as a layer will start to form on the sides when the mixture thickens.
- When the mixture is reduced to ¾ of its consistency, add saffron strands. Mix gently.
- On low flame cook by stirring until the mixture reaches thick jam like consistency. Turn off the flame and leave it to cool.
- Once the murabba has come down to room temperature, spoon it into air tight container and lid it. Leave in the fridge to use up to a month.
- Add love to make this Murabba taste ‘Yummy’.
- You can serve this murabba with savory biscuits or crackers or even matri or spread it on bread or top it on rusk.
- Always use wooden spoon in making Murabba.
- Use clean and dry air tight container for storing the murabba.
- You can even use red chili powder instead of black pepper powder.