Fennel – Home Remedies
- Roasted fennel is a tried and tested remedy for relieving gas, stomach acid and other painful stomach disorders related to digestion.
- Regular chewing of fennel seeds after meal helps in curing the problems like indigestion, dyspepsia, constipation, foul breath and vomiting.
- Soak a tbsp. of fennel seeds in a cup of water overnight and cleaning eyes with that water helps to cure puffy eyes and sore eyes.
- Importantly, fennel water also helps in curing pain and cramps during menstruation.
Saunf | Fennel – Medical Uses
- Consumption of fennel seeds with figs help in curing the problem of cough, lung abscesses and bronchitis.
- Moreover, fennel seeds has been considered to be a great herbal tonic for eyes.
Fennel – Culinary Uses
- These seeds give a distinctive flavor to baked goodies like bread, cakes and cookies.
- Fennel Seed added to meatballs or meat loaf gives an authentic Italian flavor.
- Sauté fennel Seed with sliced peppers, onion, and sausage for a quick pasta sauce.
- It is an essential ingredient of the Assamese | Oriya | Bengali spice mixture panch phoron and in Chinese five-spice powders.
Saunf ka Sharbat
- ½ cup Fennel seeds | Saunf
- 3-4 tbsp Sugar crystals | Sugar | Misri
- 1 lit Water
How to make Saunf ka Sharbat
Thoroughly clean and wash fennel seeds.
First add water to pan and bring it to boil.
Now add fennel seeds. Reduce the flame and cook for 5-6 min.
Strain and leave it to cool under room temperature.
Lastly, add sugar and stir till it dissolves.
- Consume or store in fridge to chill.
Beauty Tip with Fennel
- Fennel is a cleansing and medicating herb, and can be used for a steam facial for opening pores and rejuvenating facial skin.
Saunf- Perfect Mouth Freshener
- Sugar coated fennel seeds has often served as an after-meal Mouth Freshener | Mukhwas.
- Dry roast fennel seeds, leave it to cool. Upon cooling, add sugar (optional) and store in an air tight jar.
Flavoured Saunf | Colored Saunf | Paan Supari | Mouth Freshner | Mithi Supari | Sweet Saunf is a mixture of fennel seeds with betel nut powder and other flavorful and aromatic ingredients. This mixture is commonly used as mouth freshener and also in making flavorful paan (flavored betel leaf wrap).