Kanji/Ganji…is a thick soup mainly made during Iftaar time. Every south Indian state has got its own way of making this soup. In today’s post Rafeeda of ‘The Big Sweet Tooth‘ is going to share with us her place and house favorite kanji which is specially spiced with cumin…Over to Rafeeda’s post….
Assalamu alaikum warahmatullah… May peace and blessings of Allah be with you…
- 1 cup raw rice (pachari – the rice used for idli/ dosas)
- 4 cups water
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 6-8 shallots
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chilli
- Wash the raw rice well. Combine with the water, turmeric powder and salt in a pressure cooker. Cook on medium flame for three whistles and switch off.
- Since this is rice, there are chances of it pushing out of the weight so keep the flame as low as possible.
- A good way to avoid mess is to surround the weight with a kitchen towel, around a cm away from the weight, so that the towel would absorb the mess and not push it to your walls! Allow the pressure to go by itself.
- Meanwhile, grind all the ingredients under “for grinding” into a coarse paste. Open the cooker and keep it on simmer.
- Add in the ground paste and cook for five minutes. Switch off and serve warm.
- As it sits, it tends to get thicker. Add little warm water to loosen it up.
- It is a very simple recipe and must-try. Hope all of you liked this post.
BarakAllah feek, Lubna… May Allah make everything you do easy! Wishing all of you a blessed Ramadan…
Thank you Rafeeda for sending across such a warm recipe and being part of this Global Ramadan Event – Joy From Fasting To Feasting – VIII. Hugs for helping me out in all the possible way to take this event forward…
You can find Rafeeda @ Blog|Facebook.
NOTE: You can find updated list of entries @ Joy From Fasting To Feasting – VIII.