Though winters are short lived, they are best time in Chennai. Foggy mornings, misty nights and day long cool breeze makes winters magical season to live in. Winters also call for comfort meal. Though comfort meal is what we crave for in any season…the winter comfort meals are little special as hot soups and spicy appetizers join our menu. Winter dinners are always simple and special at my home. As the night starts early, most of the time, we get a chance to sit together and relish our meal. So winter dinners are family affair at my home and I love that cosy time we spend together. We have some family favourite winter warming recipes which I normally make in dinner. One such recipe is green brinjals in tomato gravy.
Green Brinjals in Tomato Gravy is simple and spicy recipe which goes well with roti or rice. With minimal ingredients, this recipe is one of my family’s favourite. I have adapted this recipe from Divinetaste and over the years, this has been one comfort meal which I love making again and again. Try this finger licking simple yet indulging green brinjals in tomato gravy today…
Green Brinjals in Tomato Gravy
- 10-12 Baby Green Brinjals
- 3 Tomatoes, eyes removed and pureed
- 1 tbsp. Red chili powder
- ¼ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. roasted Coriander powder
- ½ tbsp. roasted Cumin powder
- 1 tbsp. grated fresh Ginger
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- Wash and pat dry the baby green brinjals (keep the stems intact). Make a cross on the brinjals (by slitting the birnjals from bottom until the base, the stem part). Keep them in salt water until use.
- In a heavy bottom vessel, add oil and fry brinjals by adding 2-3 at a time depending on the size of the vessel. Cook till brinjals turn soft by turning in between. Ensure to cook evenly on all sides. Remove on to a kitchen tissue and set aside. Repeat and complete frying all the brinjals.
- In the same vessel now add grated ginger and fry for a minute. To this add tomato puree along with red chili powder, turmeric powder, roasted coriander powder, roasted jeera powder and salt.
- Stir and cook till oil start to leave the sides of the vessel. Now gently drop in fried brinjals. Add ½ cup of water and leave it cook on low flame by covering it with a lid.
- Cook till the gravy turn thick or till your desired consistency. Turn off the flame and serve hot with rice and dal. I served this green brinjals in tomato gravy with steamed hot rice, tomato dal and boondi.
- Add love to make this Green Brinjals in Tomato Gravy taste ‘Yummy’.
You can even use long or small purple brinjals in making this gravy.