This is a very popular dessert that we usually eat in Ramadan after Iftaar, I personally love it & so does my whole family. “Atayef” is a regular daily visitor on our tables in Ramadan!! For me Ramadan= Fasting, praying, & “Atayef”!! Doing “Atayef” or “Katayef) (This is the Egyptian name for it) at home in Ramadan brings back the lovely childhood memories of toasting nuts & thier great smell while we are fasting & craving for food 🙂 then crushing them in a plastic bag ,or in the food processor . Also doing the Sugar Syrup with its lovely Vanilla smell puts a nostalgic smile on my face 🙂 We used to fill “Atayef” with nuts (some fill it with cream cheese, or cream ) & wrap half of them well & put them in the Fridge ,to fry them the next day , so we can eat it always fresh & crispy . It’s really fun doing “Atayef”, it’s as fun as doing Cookies for our Feast “Eid”.
Egyptian Filled Pancakes
- ½ cup warm Milk (you might need more if the batter is thick)
- 1 Teaspoon Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1½ cup Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Semolina
- 1 Teaspoon Baking powder
- Roasted nuts of your Choice (nearly 1-1 ½ cup)
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon (optional)
The Sugar Syrup:
- 1½ cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cup Water
- few drops of Lemon juice
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- Oil for Frying
- Mix the Batter ingredients in a Bowl & leave it to rest for 20-30 minutes in a warm place (The batter should be more liquidy).
- In a non-stick pan over medium -high heat , add a drop of Oil & pour the Pancake batter nearly 5 cm in diameter (or more ,as you like ) & fry on one side only ,for nearly 2 minutes ,until you see bubbles on top & till it gets golden brown below. Repeat till you finish the batter.
- Remove Pancakes & set them aside to cool, but make sure you keep them in a clean towel, so as not to dry.
- Prepare you nuts mixture, by mixing all ingredients.
- Mix Sugar & water in a Saucepan over high heat, when they start boiling, add the lemon drops & vanilla & leave to simmer for 2-3 minutes, and then turn off the heat & leave to cool.
- Start filling you pancakes in the middle of the top side of “Atayef” without reaching the edges. Start closing the edged by sticking them together.
- Fry “Atayef” in oil till they get golden brown & crispy on each side.
- Remove from oil & drain then add them to the sugar syrup for 1 minute, then remove from syrup & drain.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.