Thought its October, days are still hot and humid, evenings are pleasant and nights are cool. By evening whole scene of the place change and when I and mom sit to have our evening tea in an open balcony enjoying the cool breeze, setting sun and watching birds go home….with piping hot snacks which my mom makes everyday….life is bliss….
But last night it rained heavily bringing down the mercury levels….and its drizzling since morning. This was like magical weather to me….I was in a mood for some spicy, hot and indulging food…See how fast mood swings to change in climate…with no delay I soaked up dals to make Dal Makhani…as its been days nah months I made dal makhani…last time I soaked dals and ended making burger patty for my ‘Bhangra Burger’….
I learnt to make Dal Makhani from a Punjabi friend after marriage. Seeing black color dal being served on table, I didn’t dare to serve it in my plate…thought the name fancy me…when my friend repeatedly insisted me to try out little….I thought of giving it a try….and it tasted awesome and I came back home with the recipe scribbled in my mobile notepad….Never made any changes to the recipes that I learnt from her and even made this for her once when she came to have dinner with us….She even teased me saying this dal makhani tastes even more yum than the one I make at home…may because of your ‘love’ and winked her eye….
- ½ cup whole Black gram
- 3 tbsp. Red kidney beans/Rajma
- 1 Onion, finely sliced
- 1 Tomato, finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp. Red chili powder
- ½ tbsp. Turmeric power
- 1 tbsp. Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp. Ginger julienne
- 3 tbsp. Butter
- 2 tbsp. fresh Cream
- Wash and soak whole black gram and red kidney beans overnight. Next day drain the water and pressure cook whole black gram and red kidney beans with enough water for 4 whistles or until soft.
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel, add butter and drop ginger julienne and cumin seeds, when these start to splutter, add chopped onions and fry till translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and garam masala. Fry till tomatoes turn soft.
- Now add pressure cooked whole black gram and red kidney beans along with the water they have been cooked. Check for salt and simmer on low until dals are soft and well blended.
- Add fresh cream and turn off the flame. Serve hot with jeera rice or roti.
- Add ‘love’ to make this dal makhani taste ‘Yummy’.
PRESSURE COOKER METHOD:
Alternatively you can make this recipe fully in pressure cooker by adding butter to the pressure cooker followed by ginger julienne, cumin seeds and sliced onions. Fry till translucent and then add chopped tomatoes and fry till soft. Now add red chili powder, turmeric powder and garam masala. Fry for one more minute and add soaked dals. Add enough water and mix well. Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles are until dals are soft. Release the pressure and season with salt. Cook on low till you get desired consistency. Add fresh cream and chopped coriander. Serve.