Months back weekends had carried a different significance in my life….lazy mornings, brunches, outings, potlucks, get-together’s, etc. ….Saturday and Sunday was the time I really use to wait for….Nothing has changed after Lil’M has come in my life…she use to enjoy that extra morning nap in the warm arms of her dad…..brushing her head to his chest….snuggling between the warmth of her mom and dad….Lil’M loved it to full…. But now life is different…No more weekends, no more snuggling, no more extra morning hour sleep….as my life is still packed in cartons….I can see your raised eyebrow in wonder by reading that…but its true…now its official that I moved out of Bangalore and still the destination to reach is unseen….’uncertainty’ is the term which defines my life in a word….When I say I moved out of Bangalore….people ask me where….? I have no answer….quick career decisions made my husband to choose for the option to move out of Bangalore….but things were not the same…and I am struck….life packed, life still and life uncertain…..
Every bad day come with good day in life…and hoping for a better tomorrow…and chasing the blues…I am trying to bring back the missing mojo and fun back in life….The times after hardship are always wonderful….and I am waiting for the time to spell its magic…Blogging has been my true mate, whatever may be the reason or whatever may be the season….I thought to blog…that was the only resolution I took this year and till now I am on it…and from the bottom of my heart, I thank my loving readers for the care, support and love you show for this blog….This keeps me going….
Remembering of those weekends, I was discussing brunch recipes with my sister….and all of a sudden burger came into our conversation. This conversation made me and my lil sis crave for burger….To satisfy this sudden urge I thought of making plain potato patty burger, but when I stood in the kitchen, I saw beautiful rajma and black urad dal soaking up in water for overnight…as I thought of making dal makhani in lunch along with jeera rice. Quickly I dropped the plan and started to make burger with rajma and black urad dal….A protein punch burger patty was ready within 30 minutes to be served in with burger…..I must say…..I made burgers before too, I made burger with green mung bean and potato patty….but this one tops the chart….The patty was full of flavour, nutritive and yum….Try this for your kids lunch box or for after school snack or in for those lazy evenings when you want to eat something good but not in mood to cook rice or roti….A perfect evening snack or brunch recipe…..I named this burger as Punjab da Flavour Bhangra Burger….what say…?
- ½ cup Rajma/Kidney Beans, soaked overnight
- ¼ cup whole black Urad dal, soaked overnight
- 1 big sized Potato, boiled and mashed
- ½ tbsp. Cumin/Jeera
- 1 Onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp. Red chilli powder
- ½ tbsp. Garam Masala
- ½ tbsp. Coriander powder
- 1 tbsp. Corn flour
- 2 tbsp. Coriander leaves, minced
- 1 tbsp. Lemon juice
- Pressure cook rajma and black urad dal with enough water, until soft. Drain excess water through strainer. Set aside.
- Now in a heavy bottom cooking vessel, add oil and when heats up add cumin, when it splutters add sliced onions. Fry till translucent. Now add pressure cooked rajma, black urad dal and mashed potato.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes by adding red chili powder, salt, garam masala and coriander powder. Using backside of the spoon, mash the ingredients (Alternatively you can pulse in the grinder for 30 sec) Cook till moisture disappears. Leave the mixture to cool.
- Now sprinkle corn flour, minced coriander leaves and lemon juice. Mix well and shape the patties.
Leave the patties on kitchen counter for 4-5 minutes.
- Add oil to a non stick or heavy bottom pan and shallow fry the patties until nice brown on both the sides.
- Last but not least add your ‘love’ to make the dish ‘YUMMY’.
- Remove the patty on to a plate and start to assemble.
OTHER INGREDIENTS TO COMPLETE BURGER:
To complete this Bhangra da Burger, you need the following:
- Burger Buns
- Cheese slices, optional
- Green chili sauce
- Onion, sliced round
- Tomatoes, sliced round
- Slice the burger bun and toast it with a drop of oil or butter. Spread green chili sauce evenly on the toasted bun.
- Top it with lettuce, cheese slice, burger patty, onion slices, tomato slices and mayonnaise. Top with the other toasted side of the bun and insert a toothpick.
- Healthy and yum patty burger is ready to serve. Relish with tomato sauce.
- Things to remember while making burger patty with kidney beans and black lentils…
- Wash thoroughly the beans and lentils and soak in enough water.
- Drain off the soaked water and add fresh water before pressure cooking the beans and lentils.
- Black lentils take less time to cook. Kidney beans take more time in cooking.
- We need soft beans and lentils to make this burger patty. So pressure cook until soft.
- This Punjab da flavour Bhangra Burger patty can also be served as cutlet by adding in fresh sliced carrots, peas and corn.
- Just give stir fry to chopped carrots, boiled peas and boiled corn.
- Serve with your choice or dip or chutney or sauce.